Topics

Tsunami sound for GN Y-1 (PRR FF2)

Ray Hutchison
 

I have several Great Northern Y-1s (that later became the FF2s) and would like to add DCC and sound.  I have not been able to locate sound files for the engine and am wondering if anyone could point me to where they can be found?  

One suggestion from another list was to look for sound files for European heavy electrics because they might be the same, but I don't want to do that (except as last resort).  

Would the GG1 sound files be t all close to the FF2?

Thank you for any leads and suggestions!

Ray Hutchison
Green Bay WI

Scott Kremer
 

I installed a tsunami as I recall that was a rather generic electric.  The truth is that all I really wanted was the bell and the whistle for operating sessions.  I will tell you that if you have the PFM Y-1’s there is very little room.  The good news is that it will pull my O-8, with coasting drive, and 30 cars plus up a 2.2% grade.  Love watching it under catenary. No power on the steam engine, just the electric.

Scott Kremer

On May 6, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

I have several Great Northern Y-1s (that later became the FF2s) and would like to add DCC and sound.  I have not been able to locate sound files for the engine and am wondering if anyone could point me to where they can be found?  

One suggestion from another list was to look for sound files for European heavy electrics because they might be the same, but I don't want to do that (except as last resort).  

Would the GG1 sound files be t all close to the FF2?

Thank you for any leads and suggestions!

Ray Hutchison
Green Bay WI

Ted Schnepf
 

Hello,

My railroad career started for the Milw Road in Montana/Idaho, which had electrified locomotives. I can tell you from expierence they are almost sound less. A little gear noise, occasional air compressor and at speed, a little wheel/rail noise and at the correct spots bell or whistle. They can be soundless machines. specially coming down grade.

The trailing freight cars can make more noise, than the locomotive.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120


847=697-5353

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 04:26:58 PM CDT, Scott Kremer <skremer@...> wrote:


I installed a tsunami as I recall that was a rather generic electric.  The truth is that all I really wanted was the bell and the whistle for operating sessions.  I will tell you that if you have the PFM Y-1’s there is very little room.  The good news is that it will pull my O-8, with coasting drive, and 30 cars plus up a 2.2% grade.  Love watching it under catenary. No power on the steam engine, just the electric.

Scott Kremer

On May 6, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

I have several Great Northern Y-1s (that later became the FF2s) and would like to add DCC and sound.  I have not been able to locate sound files for the engine and am wondering if anyone could point me to where they can be found?  

One suggestion from another list was to look for sound files for European heavy electrics because they might be the same, but I don't want to do that (except as last resort).  

Would the GG1 sound files be t all close to the FF2?

Thank you for any leads and suggestions!

Ray Hutchison
Green Bay WI

Scott Kremer
 

Ted is right. My wife and I chased a Little Joe for a long way West from Missoula in 1973. I recorder them. There was virtually no sound, except for the bell and whistle, a little hum if you got close enough.

Scott Kremer

Dennis Storzek
 

Yeah but... those are DC machines, so the only real sound is gear noise and the occasional clacking of the control contactors, much like a diesel as it makes transition. The GN Y-1s were AC machines with a big motor-generator set to supply DC to the traction motors. I would suspect it made a continuous monotonous drone, similar to traction motor blowers, but exactly what it sounded like is anybody's guess.

Dennis Storzek

Daniel A. Mitchell
 

I’l somewhat dispute the sounds. While I never got to see an MILW “Joe” ins service, I did spend some time around the CSS&SB “800s” (don’t call them “Little Joes”). I even got a short ride around the Michigan City yard. The description of the  basic noises (compressor and gear noise) are fine, HOWEVER, these things have TREMENDOUS blowers. When hey get hot the thermostatic blowers cut in and ROAR like crazy. They'll blow small rocks around the track, and you cannot talk and be heard near the loco. The blowers are thermostatically controlled and spin up and down as cooling is needed. A “hot” loco parked in the yard would intermittently howl while totally unattended, until it cools off.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On May 6, 2020, at 6:11 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

Yeah but... those are DC machines, so the only real sound is gear noise and the occasional clacking of the control contactors, much like a diesel as it makes transition. The GN Y-1s were AC machines with a big motor-generator set to supply DC to the traction motors. I would suspect it made a continuous monotonous drone, similar to traction motor blowers, but exactly what it sounded like is anybody's guess.

Dennis Storzek

erieblt2
 

The New Haven EP-5’s were nick-named ‘Jets’ from the howl of the cooling blowers. I heard them. They were loud, and not a pleasant sound for the layout(in my opinion). I agree that a European Electric would be interesting and a good starting point. Good luck. Bill S.


On May 6, 2020, at 2:19 PM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

I have several Great Northern Y-1s (that later became the FF2s) and would like to add DCC and sound.  I have not been able to locate sound files for the engine and am wondering if anyone could point me to where they can be found?  

One suggestion from another list was to look for sound files for European heavy electrics because they might be the same, but I don't want to do that (except as last resort).  

Would the GG1 sound files be t all close to the FF2?

Thank you for any leads and suggestions!

Ray Hutchison
Green Bay WI

Dave Parker
 

Freight car content?
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Craig Zeni
 

On May 6, 2020, at 9:13 PM, main@RealSTMFC.groups.io wrote:

1e. Re: Tsunami sound for GN Y-1 (PRR FF2)
From: Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 21:13:04 EDT

I’l somewhat dispute the sounds. While I never got to see an MILW “Joe” ins service, I did spend some time around the CSS&SB “800s” (don’t call them “Little Joes”). I even got a short ride around the Michigan City yard. The description of the basic noises (compressor and gear noise) are fine, HOWEVER, these things have TREMENDOUS blowers. When hey get hot the thermostatic blowers cut in and ROAR like crazy. They'll blow small rocks around the track, and you cannot talk and be heard near the loco. The blowers are thermostatically controlled and spin up and down as cooling is needed. A “hot” loco parked in the yard would intermittently howl while totally unattended, until it cools off.
I was very disappointed in the decoder quality in the Broadway Limited PRR P5A boxcabs. The sound wasn't good to my ear and it didn't run as well as I would like.

I'm a Loksound user so I went rummaging thru the various European sound files until I found one that I liked...that didn't have modern inverter whine etc. I used the Lokprogrammer software to add an American horn and bell to the sound file, hid the German conductor and station announcements, and loaded it to the decoder. The model runs much much better and sounds pretty good too.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC