Topics

Turtle Load

Bob Chaparro

Turtle Load

This is a photo from the Douglas County (MN) Historical Society. I wonder what was done with the turtles in Philadelphia?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jon Miller

On 12/20/2019 9:31 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:
I wonder what was done with the turtles in Philadelphia?

     Turtle soup?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Lester Breuer

Bob when I was in my teen years I and several friends would hunt river bottoms in the Minnesota River Valley along the Minnesota River in the winter where frozen water was very shallow allowing us to see large snapper turtles thru the ice.   We would catch them and sell them to local restaurants for their use with one being soup.  My guess this is a large shipment of snapping turtles for sale to restaurants there.
Lester Breuer

John Riddell

A Canadian reefer taking a load from MN to PA. Isn’t that a violation of the rules ?

John Riddell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

ken chapin

Not if it came off Soo line railroad.
Ken
--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 12/20/19, 6:34 PM John Riddell <riddellj@...> wrote:

A Canadian reefer taking a load from MN to PA. Isn’t that a violation of the rules ?

John Riddell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tim O'Connor

John, not a violation.

The AAR districts that border CANADA include Minnesota and Pennsylvania.

Therefore any CN or CP freight car could be routed through the United States between
those two states (or to New England, or to Montana or Washington state etc etc) because
those districts are ADJACENT to the territorial districts of CN and CP. The rules were
flexible enough that freight cars could leave home rails for years at a time - and many
did!

P.S. The rules are even MORE flexible today! Next load, ANY road is how it works now.

On 12/20/2019 7:34 PM, John Riddell wrote:

A Canadian reefer taking a load from MN to PA. Isn’t that a violation of the rules ?

John Riddell

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 05:06 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
John, not a violation.

The AAR districts that border CANADA include Minnesota and Pennsylvania.
But back in the steam era there was also the issue of tariffs on the foreign built equipment. However, I note the sign on this Grand Trunk Ry. car says the load is going via CN Ry. the Grand Trunk's new owner. So this is actually a line haul on a Canadian railway. My best guess is that a homeward bound Canadian empty was used since it returned the car to Canada under load, which was allowable under the car service rules. The fact that the car came back into the US at the other end of its journey is a separate issue.

Dennis Storzek