Topics

Two boxcars

Richard Remiarz

Greetings,

I have been trying to clear off my workbench by finishing various freight car projects by the end of the year.  I just finished two boxcars.

CNW 107734 is a riveted side PS-1 boxcar.  It was built from an Intermountain 10’ 6” boxcar kit.  Intermountain 4044-02 Youngstown doors, 40' PS-1 roof w/ end panels removed, 50' PS-1 ends, and 40' PS-1 detail sprue were used.  I added a Red Caboose AAR underframe, Kato ASF A3 trucks with ReBoxx 20950 wheelsets, Kadee 158 couplers, 2002 roofwalk, 2252 side grab irons,and 2024 Equipco brake wheel; DA BW6401 Equipco housing and FC6213 door handles; Tichy brake levers, HiTech Details 6040 air hoses and brackets, Archer AR88025 rivets, Speedwitch D197 decals, and Speedwitch chalk mark decals.  I painted the car with Tru-Color TCP-010 Black and TCP-183 C&NW 1944-60's Freight Car Brown after priming with Tamiya Fine Surface primer.  Weathering was done with Pan Pastel Paynes Grey Extra Dark and Polly Scale Rust and Grimy Black.

SP 82765 is a class B-50-21 1937 AAR boxcar.  It started as an IMWX kit.  The underframe was detailed with a Westerfield AB brake valve, Cal Scale dust collector, and Yarmouth brake levers.  Other details include Kadee 2251 side grabs, 2016 gypsum running board, 158 couplers, 441 brake pads, & 2021 Equico brake wheel.  From Yarmouth I used 507 cut lever brackets and 201 stirrup steps.  I used Accurail Bettendorf trucks with IM 0.088" wheelsets.  Other details included DA BW6401 Equipco brake housing and SY2210 chain, Plano 132 Gypsum brake platform, HiTech Details 6040 air hoses and brackets, Tangent TSM203 coupler lift bars, and Tichy 3021 grab irons.  The original plan was to use the factory lettering, but I wanted to model a car repainted with the Southern Pacific spelled out.  I removed the lettering on the left side of the cars and repainted with ScaleCoat Boxcar Red and used Speedwitch and Sunshine Models decals.  Weathering was done with Pan Pastel Neutral Grey Extra Dark and Polly Scale Rust and Grimy Black.  I used Speedwitch chalk mark decals.  Special thanks to Tony Thompson for answering questions so I could get the details right.

By tomorrow I should have the last freight car on the workbench done so I can start a new set of projects.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Todd Sullivan

Hi Rich,

Two handsome looking models.  Thanks for sharing.

Todd Sullivan

James Brewer

Rich,

Those are certainly two very nice builds.  I especially like the subtle weathering.

Jim Brewer

al_brown03

Nice  cars!

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Paul Doggett

Rich

Two great looking cars very nice indeed.

Paul Doggett     England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 30 Dec 2020, at 22:39, Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Clark Propst

Well done Rich! Tough to keep track of all those extra details  ; ))

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

O Fenton Wells

Well done Rich, two well built cars,
Fenton very nice

On Dec 30, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

Well done Rich! Tough to keep track of all those extra details  ; ))

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Scott Kremer

Very nice work and the photos are great as well.

Scott Kremer

Richard Remiarz

Clark,

The CNW car was built based on the article in RPCyc Volume 1.  Now that I found a PS-1 underframe I will build another more modern version of the car, and won’t have to sand off the end panels on the roof this time.

For the SP boxcar I was inspired by Bill Welch.  I didn’t take it to the level that Bill did with some of his “extreme modeling”, but I wanted it much more detailed than the typical plastic kit.  With the roof walks, brake wheels and bracket grabs offered by Kadee, the etched brass parts offered by Yarmouth and others, and other detail parts now available it is becoming much easier build older plastic kits to the level of newer resin kits or high-end plastic cars.

Now that I am retired and spending more time modeling, I am also volunteering and getting involved in new areas of the hobby.  I am the new coordinator/editor for the GNRHS Modelers Pages, and part of the GNRHS modeling committee.  I want to stay updated with the latest parts and techniques so that I can apply them to GN models and write them up for the Modelers Pages.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Well done Rich! Tough to keep track of all those extra details  ; ))

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Richard Remiarz

Thank you everyone for the nice comments on the two boxcars.  Finishing next is a Speedwitch NP 50’ boxcar.  By tomorrow morning the flat finish overcoat on the decals should be dry and weathering will commence.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

gtws00

That is a fine looking pair of cars Rich. Lots of nice additions and modifications,
Thanks for sharing your work.
George Toman
Willow Springs, Illinois

George Corral

Very nicely done. I appreciate you listing the parts you used especially the paint and weathering.  Details look great.
Thanks for sharing.

George Corral
Just North of The Clearwater Car Shops

Bill J.

"Guess" they're "ok" if you like superb craftsmanship and excellent colouring and weathering.

Especially the weathering with chalking paint and subtle streaks.

reallyREALLY nice work, Rich!

Bill Jolitz

Matt Goodman

Nice job on the wheel color - black with a bit of sheen to suggest oil. Rail color looks good as well.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US

On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:38 PM, Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

[...]

<CNW 107734-1.jpg><SP 82765-1.jpg>

Tony Thompson

     Both cars are beautiful results, Rich. Nice use of upgraded details to improve the look, and nice light weathering. I'm impressed.

Tony Thompson