Topics

Two Compartment HO Scale Tank Cars: Who Made Them?

Bob Chaparro

Two Compartment HO Scale Tank Cars: Who Made Them?

I seem to recall about eight years ago one of the higher-end manufacturers offered an HO scale R-T-R two compartment tank car in plastic. Perhaps it was Tangent or Broadway Limited.

Does anyone recall who offered this tank car?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Brian Carlson

Tangent made a 3 dome in plastic. Southern car and Foundry had a two dome in resin. They also had single and 3 dome cars in resin.

Brian J. Carlson

On Oct 16, 2020, at 12:49 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Two Compartment HO Scale Tank Cars: Who Made Them?

I seem to recall about eight years ago one of the higher-end manufacturers offered an HO scale R-T-R two compartment tank car in plastic. Perhaps it was Tangent or Broadway Limited.

Does anyone recall who offered this tank car?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob and Friends,

Mark Feddersen wrote an article in the July 1988 MAINLINE MODELER with the title "Tank Car Pleasure: Twin Dome Kit Modification". Feddersen describes converting a Tichy tank into a GATX prototype. Most of us probably have a couple of these Tichy cars we are too embarrassed to haul out when anybody on this list is looking, so here is a great chance for both an accurate twin-dome tank car, and a use for these dodgy kits.

Twin-dome cars were pretty rare, but they were common enough to justify one or two in a freight car collection. The problem is finding photos and data. It would be neat if somebody did an illustrated article on various twin-dome prototypes.

I have an old steel Athearn/Globe twin-dome which is sort-of kitbashed to stand-in for UNPX 102 (a Sinclair subsidiary that continued with its own reporting mark). Sadly, UNPX 102 was a 6K car, and the Athearn tank is 8K, but I can live with it. It has slightly larger Selly cast metal domes from my parts box. I love finding old Athearn and Mantua steel tank car models at train shows and bringing them back to life.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:49 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Two Compartment HO Scale Tank Cars: Who Made Them?

I seem to recall about eight years ago one of the higher-end manufacturers offered an HO scale R-T-R two compartment tank car in plastic. Perhaps it was Tangent or Broadway Limited.

Does anyone recall who offered this tank car?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Garth Groff wrote:
"Mark Feddersen wrote an article in the July 1988 MAINLINE MODELER with the title "Tank Car Pleasure: Twin Dome Kit Modification". Feddersen describes converting a Tichy tank into a GATX prototype. Most of us probably have a couple of these Tichy cars we are too embarrassed to haul out when anybody on this list is looking, so here is a great chance for both an accurate twin-dome tank car, and a use for these dodgy kits."

The Feddersen Mainline Modeler articles are definitely worth another read for the modeling approach and techniques - they're a precursor to Bobby Pitts' tank car work, appearing almost two decades earlier.

While the "prototype" for the Gould/Tichy tank car kits might be dodgy (and I realize that they're close to several prototypes covered previously on this list - but nothing out of the box), the components are certainly useful, and Tichy helpfully provides them in his parts line.

Ben Hom

Rich C

Bob, Southern Car and Foundry makes the two compartment tankers

RIch Christie

Chuck Cover

Hi Bob,

Attached is a photo of a Southern Car and Foundry two compartment tank car that I built earlier this year.  These are nice kits, I have built three of them.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Tony Thompson

      All the SC&F tank cars are terrific models. I have four built, one to go.

Tony Thompson

The Globe 2-dome tank car is not easy to find.  Be careful buying one because the pot metal frame frequently falls apart.  The Globe line of freight cars was state of the art at the time, as were Irv Athearn's metal freight cars.  The Mantua metal cars were good but not as good as the Globe and Athearn.  I remember buying the kits at hobby shops in Buffalo.  Many of those old kits used 410M paint.  I have one Globe 2-dome car on my model railroad along with one Athearn metal NYC Pacemaker boxcar and one metal B&LERR 50' flat car.  I do not know who produced the Bessemer flat car but it is not Varney.  I remember building an EJ&E green Varney metal flat car when I was about fifteen years old.

Tony Thompson

Hugh Guillaume wrote:

The Globe 2-dome tank car is not easy to find.  Be careful buying one because the pot metal frame frequently falls apart . . .

     It was Zamac, NOT "pot metal," but it does fall apart if the alloy was a little contaminated. I'm sure in those days a manufacturer would have goggled at you if you wanted him to use better material so his castings would last 70 years.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Hugh Guillaume wrote:

 I do not know who produced the Bessemer flat car but it is not Varney.  I remember building an EJ&E green Varney metal flat car when I was about fifteen years old.

    Hugh, here is a photo of a Varney underframe on a metal flat car. Is your B&LE car like this?

Tony Thompson

Jon Miller

On 10/18/2020 5:50 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
if you wanted him to use better material so his castings would last 70 years.

    Interesting enough is Red Ball (type material, lead) seems to have lasted 70 years and is still going :-D!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

william darnaby

I have one of those Globe 2 compartment cars running on the railroad and it is lettered UTLX 87xx if I remember correctly.  No doubt a foobie but I still like it.  I also have a mint kit of that 2 compartment car in a Globe box lettered for GATX.  I should probably give it to a hobby shop museum.

Bill Darnaby

._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#178319) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

Tony Thompson

Jon Miller wrote:

    Interesting enough is Red Ball (type material, lead) seems to have lasted 70 years and is still going :-D!

     And plenty of Zamac is fine too, if it was made properly. I have a Varney box car from before World War II, with a Zamac frame, and it's fine. And I had a few Zamac trucks that swelled up and cracked within 10 years of purchase.

Tony Thompson