Mark,
Hard to say if UCR gons went east.

- allen rueter

On Sunday, February 10, 2019, 16:37, Mark Hemphill via Groups.Io <markwmhemphill@...> wrote:

Ron, thanks a million for the good start on MoPac.  Is there a MoPac freight guide anywhere, like was done for the Rio Grande by Jim Eager?

Allen -- I'm not aware of any UCR GS gons. If there were, I'd seriously consider chucking 1965 Tennessee Pass, for 1945 Soldier Summit. Fewer trees to build, that's for sure!  Also, those car counts from October 1947 are fascinating.

Mark Hemphill

Mark Hemphill

Allen:  I've seen photos of UCR gons on UP in Wyoming, well east of Evanston.  I've not seen any photos of UCR gons on D&RGW anywhere east of Utah Railway Junction, Utah.  Could they have gone east? Sure.  But apparently not very often, because no photos yet show them.

Mark Hemphill

SHAY STARK

There is a picture of UCR 21098 floating around the internet taken by a J. Parker in Toronto sometime in the 1950's. I have been told anecdotally that a UCR car kicked around the MSTL for over a year going back and forth between the mines and customers in Iowa. Those are two instances I am aware of where UCR cars are known traveling east of Denver. I am sure it happened more often that that but it certainly was not common.

SHAY STARK

I was able to pull a list of equipment owned by Utah Railway that was either sold or destroyed from May of 1944. of the 2,000 UCR gondolas 8 had been destroyed on the Utah Railway, 6 on the Union Pacific, 3 on the Oregon Short Line, 1 on the OWR&N, 1 on the LA&SL, 5 on the Western Pacific, 3 on the D&RGW, 1 on the Great Northern and 1 on the Northern Pacific. The original 25 gondolas built by Ralston has 2 cars destroyed on the  D&RG, 1 on the Utah Railway and one on the BA&P Railway. This data while very limited would support the notion that the UCR and Utah Railway cars were predominately in use in the western United States.

Another note of interest found in the roster accompanying the report is that the first 5400 UCR gondolas that began delivery in September 1914 were lettered for Utah Railway and numbered 300 to 799. These cars were immediately leased to the D&RG as they were delivered. It was not until 1917 that half interest was sold to the LA&SL and at that time these cars were restencilled to Utah Coal Route and renumbered 20,000 to 20,499. the 1,500 additional UCR cars were ordered by LA&SL in 1917 and jointly owned with Utah Railway. Those cars were numbered 20,500 to 21,999.

Shay Stark

Mark Hemphill

Thanks for the comprehensive info, Shay. Since Utah Railway ran on trackage rights on D&RGW from Utah Railway Jct. to Thistle -- the majority of the main line movement for most of their tonnage between Martin and Provo -- it's most likely the gons met their fate there, and not somewhere else on Rio Grande.

The major customers for Utah coal in the steam era were:
  • Domestic heating in Utah, Nevada, and Idaho, with smaller markets in Washington and Oregon, competing with Wyoming coal moving west, Washington coal moving east, and fuel oil from California moving north.
  • Sugar refineries in Utah, Idaho, and Washington
  • Smelters, in conjunction with fuel oil, most of them were a mix of approximately 75% fuel oil, 25% powdered coal
  • Locomotive fuel in coal-fuel territory in Utah, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada
Utah coal mined on D&RGW and Utah Railway mines was typically a high-volatile, low ash, low-sulfur, low-moisture bituminous, running around 12,000 BTU per pound. Excellent for steam, residential heating, and industrial use, but not a good coking coal at all.

Mark Hemphill