Topics

UMM Tools

Brian Carlson

Based on George Tolman's clinic yesterday at Hindsight 20/20 I am going to get one of these UMM saws I heard about. http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

I know we have tools junkies on the list. are their other tools I should investigate from their site? Thanks in advance.
Brian Carlson

steve_wintner

They offer a number of different tools for folding and forming photoetched parts.

I think the also offer etched tools for applying CA, which are well worth the money.

Steve

Steve and Barb Hile

Although most seem to currently sold out, I have liked using the micro chisels for removing plastic molded details.  Much easier than working with the chisel blade Xacto.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_224&products_id=8285

Steve Hile

I know we have tools junkies on the list. are their other tools I should investigate from their site? Thanks in advance.
Brian Carlson

Eric Hansmann

I bought an UMM saw a few months back and used it recently to remove a 3/32 strip of material from the side sills of a boxcar kit. I was very happy with the results.

I also bought this micro mitre box.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 14, 2020 at 10:47 PM "Brian Carlson via groups.io" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Based on George Tolman's clinic yesterday at Hindsight 20/20 I am going to get one of these UMM saws I heard about.  http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

I know we have tools junkies on the list. are their other tools I should investigate from their site? Thanks in advance.
Brian Carlson

Matt Goodman

Steve mentioned a photo-etched flue applicator. I’m not familiar with UMMs version, but have had good luck with the glue looper with thin glues - I rarely use my open-ended sewing needle anymore.

http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html

They have a loop for thick glues; I have one of those, but haven’t test used it.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

On Jun 15, 2020, at 1:21 AM, steve_wintner via groups.io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

They offer a number of different tools for folding and forming photoetched parts.

I think the also offer etched tools for applying CA, which are well worth the money.

Steve

James Brewer

Brian,

I think George and/or Lester Breuer recommended this tool for bending photo-etched parts; I bought one and it is very easy to use; currently listed as out of stock but expected within 2-3 weeks: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_225&products_id=59

Here is a larger version of the bender, but it is probably to big for our applications: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_225&products_id=28

I think I will also order that saw that George showed.

Jim Brewer

Dave Parker

I second what Steve said about the micro-chisels.  I bought three, and the Xacto #17 blades are not getting much use at all.

I also bought the MN-004 bender and, for the Yarmouth ladder stiles, I like it significantly better than The Bug from The Small Shop.  The latter is more versatile however, as the "teeth" in the top plate allow for bending of more complex shapes.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

steve_wintner

Oh, interesting.

The ones I have aren't a loop. The are an open end,   more like your needle. Allows me to reach in and drop a dot of CA right around the grab wire just above where it enters the hole. The CA then flows down into the hole, very neat. The CA then dries in the applicator before I can remove it, of course. But a candle flame fixes that.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_113&products_id=6487

I'm sure the loop is good too, maybe better for some applications - I think I'll give them a try, thanks for pointing them out!

I've also used the Small Shops bug, as Dave P mentioned. Very nice. But I currently have one particular bend that it cannot do - UMMs 150mm bender, the one Jim mentioned, looks like a good bet.

Steve W

Ken Adams

Modify the um-usa url's to HTTPS so you won't get nasty messages about unsecure sites.

Very interesting stuff. There goes the last of the $1200 virus giveaway.  Tool stuff that Micro-Mark doesn't do. Will admit to being a bit of a micro tool guy...But on my very limited active workspace I find I spend a lot of time trying to remember where that tool I need now is hiding.
--
Ken Adams

Craig Zeni

3c.
From: Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 02:12:34 EDT

Although most seem to currently sold out, I have liked using the micro chisels for removing plastic molded details. Much easier than working with the chisel blade Xacto.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_224 <http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_224&products_id=8285> &products_id=8285

Steve Hile
I bought one of the UMM saws a few years ago after hearing Greg Martin rave about it. I wasn't disappointed at all. It's an amazing thing and I'm now the guy that raves about them. The UMM saw and some high quality Dumont & FIls tweezers are called out in my resin building presentation and another one that I do that's too modern and not age appropriate here.

The chisel tools that I have converted to, and never looked back, are those from Hasegawa. There's several sizes; the 3mm wide TT-9 "Hasegawa Trytool" is my favorite. The width of the blade makes it harder to accidentally rotate it and create collateral damage. The round TT-5 is my second favorite. The way its tip is cut makes it ideal for going in and nicking off rivets or whatever that are in hard to reach places. I also bought the narrower flat chisel and the 'triangular' chisel - I've not found them to be as useful as the TT-9 and TT-5. MIne came from store.spruebrothers.com ...but it looks like the TT-9 is out of stock right now. With a little practice and care, I've found that I can shave off unwanted details and literally not have to do any clean up with a file or 1000 grit paper. I had to remove the rear overhang from a Highliners F unit shell. In the past I've have used the UMM saw and come back with some 600 and 1000 grit to clean it up. I used the TT-9 and made probably a dozen passes, peeling up a curl of plastic with every pass. It finished clean and needed zero sanding work. The tools are that sharp and good.

At the same web page is the Trumpeter brand of chisels - I tried a couple. Not impressed. At all. Didn't feel sharp, didn't handle well.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

gtws00

I have all four versions of these. I 1st started with the short one to bend PE stiles. I liked it so much I bought the longer version. These 1st ones did not have the bending brake, but when UMM-USA offered them with the brake I ordered those as well. I use are four of they. The ones without the bending brake can be used as a vise to hold some thin materials as you work on them. I will have a tutorial in part two of my IC Mini-Kit Clinic when presented at the next Virtual RPM.
Attached is a picture of the 4 benders and a small brass angle that is .040x.040 made with the benders

I also use the CA applicators from UMM-USA and my favorites from the Glue Loopers

George Toman

Brian Stokes

Anyone tried the rivet decals from UMM? I ordered a couple while I was getting other stuff from them as they are less expensive than Archer rivets but have yet to play with them...
--
Brian Stokes
https://northpoint48.blogspot.com/