From: "Tony Thompson" <tony@...>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Union Oil 76 paint scheme
Date: February 11, 2020 at 3:05:19 PM PST

     Years ago, a couple of the HO scale manufacturers of tank cars offered Union Oil cars in a dark blue paint scheme with an orange 76 emblem (the company colors). Several people, including no less than Richard Hendrickson, pronounced this a bogus scheme, with bright colors to attract modelers.
      But recently in browsing old issues of _Model Railroader_ from the early 1950s, I found the photo below in an Athearn ad of 1952 (they offered this scheme on a metal tank car model) -- and note the astronomical price. Can anyone supply more information about how widely used this scheme was?

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Thomas Birkett

Tony: I am Phillips Petroleum Co. retiree and conocoPhillips and now Phillips 66 Company after a merger and divorce own the rights to the 76 brand. I will try to slip by the museum tomorrow and see if I can learn anything more on the topic.
Thomas N. Birkett, PE, Bartlesville, PK

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

     Years ago, a couple of the HO scale manufacturers of tank cars offered Union Oil cars in a dark blue paint scheme with an orange 76 emblem (the company colors). Several people, including no less than Richard Hendrickson, pronounced this a bogus scheme, with bright colors to attract modelers.
      But recently in browsing old issues of _Model Railroader_ from the early 1950s, I found the photo below in an Athearn ad of 1952 (they offered this scheme on a metal tank car model) -- and note the astronomical price. Can anyone supply more information about how widely used this scheme was?

Tony Thompson
tony@...

tyesac@aol.com

Tony,

I used to work for Union 76's Refining & Transportation div in the early 1990's.  At the time, they celebrated their 100th anniversary and handed out some thick hardbound books about the company history.   I remember seeing B&W pictures of some of the tank cars they used.  If I recall correctly they were pre war, but the anniversary book did not have roster information.   The blue and orange color would have matched the company colors, just as you'd see in the orange & blue gas station signs.   At one time they also gave out millions of Styrofoam Union 76 balls to put on the tip of a car antenna.  I worked in the IT dept supporting the company accounting systems in Schaumburg, IL.  When I asked about current rail operations, the answer was that the preferred method to move refined product, except gasoline, which used pipelines from refineries to distribution points.   Tank car usage was via leased /per diem cars: UTLX or SHPX.    BTW, multiple oil companies would deliver gasoline via a common pipeline.   It was at the end stage of the distribution point, right before loading delivery trucks that octane & detergents additives were introduced.

Tom Casey

Thomas Birkett wrote:

Tony: I am Phillips Petroleum Co. retiree and conocoPhillips and now Phillips 66 Company after a merger and divorce own the rights to the 76 brand. I will try to slip by the museum tomorrow and see if I can learn anything more on the topic.

   Thanks very much. I appreciate any help. I too have heard the World's Fair story but the _Railway Age_ coverage of the event, though it showed a number of pieces of freight equipment, did not show this car. It of course may simply have been omitted.

Tony Thompson