Topics

Union Tank Car Co. UTLX 17441 a “squat”

Lester Breuer

I have completed the build of Sunshine Models, kit 62.2, a Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) “squat”  or “short” 8,000 gallon tank car I numbered 17441.  If you are interested the build of this “squat” UTLX tank car which includes installing Precision Scale, #32110, handrail stanchions, photos and writeup of the build process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Dave Boss

Really enjoyed your blog. Great job on the X3. This car is one that I really need as I 'm modeling the oil industry in my area. I have just finished working on an 8000 gal ACF tank car myself, and decided to bend brass wire to for the hand rail as well. I had nothing to work with so I bent the hand rail ,free hand to use with the Precision Scale stanchions. This really discouraged me from trying this again. Your blog however renewed my interest in making hand rails in the future. I didn't realize they include a jig in the sunshine tank car kits. Unfortunately I have no Sunshine tank car kits to acquire one of those jigs. Dose anyone know if there is a jig available to make these handrails?

Dave

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 7:32 AM Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have completed the build of Sunshine Models, kit 62.2, a Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) “squat”  or “short” 8,000 gallon tank car I numbered 17441.  If you are interested the build of this “squat” UTLX tank car which includes installing Precision Scale, #32110, handrail stanchions, photos and writeup of the build process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

O Fenton Wells

Impressive Lester, great job on a difficult build
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Paul Doggett

Lester

That’s another fine build I have never built a resin tank car I have found one.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 1 Feb 2020, at 12:32, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have completed the build of Sunshine Models, kit 62.2, a Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) “squat”  or “short” 8,000 gallon tank car I numbered 17441.  If you are interested the build of this “squat” UTLX tank car which includes installing Precision Scale, #32110, handrail stanchions, photos and writeup of the build process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Donald B. Valentine

fHello all,

    Lester Breuer's recent post about constructing a UTLX X-3 of 8,000 gal. capacity refered us to the most recent of his
always enjoyable blogs on constructing his model. In the blog he noted finding that the prototype had a dome platform
on only one side of the tank. My late friend, and kitbasher extrodinaire, Robert W. Witbeck and I first began noticing that
many tank cars had dome platforms on only one side back in the mid-1990's but were never successful in determining
what factors decided whether on or two dome platforms were to be used. Still being in the dark on this subject I'm raising
the question here in hope that someone might know the answer to this long standing void in my knowledge of tank car
construction. Any knowledgeable responses would be appreciated.

Cordially, Don Valentine

dalemuir2@...

this is good, check it out.

    Lester Breuer's recent post about constructing a UTLX X-3 of 8,000 gal. capacity refered us to the most recent of his

always enjoyable blogs on constructing his model. In the blog he noted finding that the prototype had a dome platform

on only one side of the tank. My late friend, and kitbasher extrodinaire, Robert W. Witbeck and I first began noticing that

many tank cars had dome platforms on only one side back in the mid-1990's but were never successful in determining

what factors decided whether on or two dome platforms were to be used. Still being in the dark on this subject I'm raising

the question here in hope that someone might know the answer to this long standing void in my knowledge of tank car

construction. Any knowledgeable responses would be appreciated.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 05:57 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
My late friend, and kitbasher extrodinaire, Robert W. Witbeck and I first began noticing that
many tank cars had dome platforms on only one side back in the mid-1990's but were never successful in determining
what factors decided whether on or two dome platforms were to be used
Don, it's era dependent. The ARA safety appliance drawing dated 1917, presented in the 1922 CBC, only shows one dome platform. I've always just assumed at some point the requirement was increased to one on each side, but never bothered to track down the date.

Dennis Storzek

Dave Parker

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 08:47 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
Don, it's era dependent. The ARA safety appliance drawing dated 1917, presented in the 1922 CBC, only shows one dome platform. I've always just assumed at some point the requirement was increased to one on each side, but never bothered to track down the date.
Having looked through a lot of ICC regs from 1927 through 1955,  I have yet to find any indication that the second platform was required during the period covered by this group.  So, that's an assumption that I would not make absent additional evidence.

As to why some cars were fitted with the second platform, while others were not, I cannot find any rhyme or reason to it.  But there certainly were a great many cars with just one, something not reflected on any RTR models that I have seen.  With kits, it's an easy fix of course.
 --
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek wrote:

Don, it's era dependent. The ARA safety appliance drawing dated 1917, presented in the 1922 CBC, only shows one dome platform. I've always just assumed at some point the requirement was increased to one on each side, but never bothered to track down the date.

     I don't know whether the two walks were ever REQUIRED. Ed Kaminski told me that nearly every detail of the TANK (not the underframe) was a buyer choice, though of course they had to choose among permitted features. Certainly before WW II, you can find plenty of photos of tanks with either one or two walks.

Tony Thompson

al_brown03

I've seen a two-compartment tank with a half-length dome platform on each end (one on each side).

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.