Topics

UNION TEXAS NATURAL GAS tank car and WFE wood ice reefer

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

UNION TEXAS NATURAL GAS tank car and WFE wood ice reefer in Tallahassee, FL 1964

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Tony Thompson

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi List Members,

UNION TEXAS NATURAL GAS tank car and WFE wood ice reefer in Tallahassee, FL 1964

   The late Warren Mayfield, who supervised wreck clearance on the P&LE for years, said that inevitably the worst accidents happened on bridges or fills, usually at night, and typically while it was raining.

Tony Thompson

Ted Culotta

True on the New Haven. There was the 2-10-2 (hauling Steam Era freight cars... did I stay outta jail Mike?) that threw a tire while on the Poughkeepsie Bridge (gantlet tracked so there was no pulling up alongside with a crane) on a bitter, bitter cold night. The tire had to be sweated back on manually on the bridge.

Ted Culotta
Speedwitch Media
P.O. Box 392, Guilford, CT 06437

David Soderblom

Tony:

Not just raining, but a hard rain that splashed and soaked.  Just to keep you miserable.

David Soderblom

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

Tim O'Connor

EGADS! That sounds movie-worthy! I get vertigo just thinking about it.

On 7/8/2020 8:04 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:
True on the New Haven. There was the 2-10-2 (hauling Steam Era freight cars... did I stay outta jail Mike?) that threw a tire while on the Poughkeepsie Bridge (gantlet tracked so there was no pulling up alongside with a crane) on a bitter, bitter cold night. The tire had to be sweated back on manually on the bridge.

Ted Culotta

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Good thing that tank car was empty, or there might not even be a bridge there anymore.