Topics

(unknown)

Tom Gloger

--- ThisIsR@aol.com wrote:
2)I have a freightcar blocking manual for Seaboard dated 1933. It
mentions a particular SAL freight picking up loaded meat reefers from
a connecting road. How common was it to see meat reefers moving in
the SE USA in the steam era? Would there have been one specific
company owned reefer more common than others?
I found five meat packing plants in the south in 1938:
Armour & Company, Tifton [I think] Georgia, packed Pork. They were on
the Southern, I think.
Cudahy Packing in Albany, Georgia, with an annual capacity of 50,000
cattle, 350,000 hogs, 35,000 sheep & lambs. Looks like they were on
the ACL.
E.M.Todd & Co., Smithfield, Virginia, Internationally known Smithfield
Virginia Hams. N&W?
Swift & Company, Iowa, Louisiana (A town near Lake Charles) Beef Plant
was served by the Southern Pacific.
Swift & Company, Moultrie, Georgia - billed itself as the largest
capacity of all such plants in the SE. Also ACL?

There may have been more from Indiana, Cincinnati, or Missouri.

Corrections or confirmations cordially accepted.

=====
- Tom Gloger e-mail: mailto:tomgloger@yahoo.com
web page: http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.tgloger

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

ibs4421@...

Tom,
IIRC, I have seen more than one photo of a Swift reefer at the head end of an NC&StL freight heading north out of Hills Park Yard in the early 50's.

Warren
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tom,

Smithfield is not served by any railway, nor was it for most of its
existence. Briefly (circa 1948-1950, IIRC), Smithfield was served by the
Smithfield Terminal Railway. This line ran from a ferry slip on
Chesapeake Bay to the packing plants, probably served by a C&O float.
The track was just a little over a mile in length, had a single steam
locomotive (an 0-4-0T I believe), and no cars. The line proved
unprofitable and was quickly abandoned. The brief story is found in
RICHMOND-WASHINGTON FAST FREIGHT LINE by Richard E. Prince (but the book
is at home right now).

If Todd, and the other packing plants at the town of Smithfield
(Gwaltney's and others), shipped by rail before or after the STRY's
brief life, their products were shipped by boat or truck somewhere else
for loading into railroad cars.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff