UP Livestock Car 47630D (Class Not Visible)

Bob Chaparro

UP Livestock Car 47630D (Class Not Visible)

Photo from Don Strack’s UtahRails Website:

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific/UP-Freight-Cars/i-VCQBnhr/A

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Built 8-1950. Stencil notes “This Car Equipped With Roller Bearings”.

Journal lids appear to be painted silver, an indicator of roller bearings refitted to trucks that originally had solid bearings.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

John Sykes III

Edited

Union Pacific class S-40-12.  This is one of the very few models that Athearn got dead-on right (but I think the brake gear has to be rearranged).

John,

Aren't the roof stiffening panels cut backwards?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 3:19 AM John Sykes III via groups.io <johnsykesiii=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Union Pacific class S-40-12.  This is one of the very few models that Athearn got dead-on right (but I think the brake gear has to be rearranged).

Paul Doggett

Garth

You are correct they are cut backwards or the wrong way round.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 6 Jun 2021, at 11:13, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

John,

Aren't the roof stiffening panels cut backwards?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 3:19 AM John Sykes III via groups.io <johnsykesiii=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Union Pacific class S-40-12.  This is one of the very few models that Athearn got dead-on right (but I think the brake gear has to be rearranged).

John Sykes III

Oops!  You're right.  The diagonal panels are reversed.

Tim O'Connor

Very close to dead on right. But the major error is the MIRROR IMAGE roof ! Oops.

The *almost* dead-on right award goes to several Athearn models including the R-40-23
reefer, the 40 foot all steel box car, and a few others.

Tim O'Connor

On 6/6/2021 3:14 AM, John Sykes III via groups.io wrote:
Union Pacific class S-40-12.  This is one of the very few models that Athearn got dead-on right.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Kenneth Montero

Tim (and others on this list),

Is there a single source that lists the "almost dead-on right" Athearn cars - hopefully, including:
-- the prototype to which the model is "almost dead-on right",
-- what are the errors ?

If not, I will be glad to put together such a list if folks will let me know:
-- the prototype from which the Athearn model is patterned,
-- what are the errors (and if any of them are complete foobies - the location of air brake appliances being one of them - as opposed to the wrong appliance or feature) , and
-- if known and readily found, a source for the correct information for that prototype.
.
See attached for what I have started.

This information would be helpful for kitbashing purposes. since Athearn cars often get used for kitbashing.

Ken Montero

On 06/06/2021 10:11 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Very close to dead on right. But the major error is the MIRROR IMAGE roof ! Oops.

The *almost* dead-on right award goes to several Athearn models including the R-40-23
reefer, the 40 foot all steel box car, and a few others.

Tim O'Connor

On 6/6/2021 3:14 AM, John Sykes III via groups.io wrote:
Union Pacific class S-40-12.  This is one of the very few models that Athearn got dead-on right.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Very close to dead on right. But the major error is the MIRROR IMAGE roof ! Oops.

The *almost* dead-on right award goes to several Athearn models including the R-40-23
reefer, the 40 foot all steel box car, and a few others.

But the box car is an oddball height -- and I assume we are neglecting the horribly clunky door claws and too-short doors -- sigh, okay, I'm not going down the whole list.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Kenneth Montero wrote:

Is there a single source that lists the "almost dead-on right" Athearn cars - hopefully, including:
-- the prototype to which the model is "almost dead-on right",
-- what are the errors ?

A number of the Athearn cars were so analyzed by Richard Hendrickson, in a group of article in MRJ, but never collected in one place, AFAIK.

Tony Thompson

Kenneth Montero

Thank you, Tony.

Now to add this to the "things to do" list.

Ken Montero

On 06/06/2021 3:05 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Kenneth Montero wrote:

Is there a single source that lists the "almost dead-on right" Athearn cars - hopefully, including:
-- the prototype to which the model is "almost dead-on right",
-- what are the errors ?
A number of the Athearn cars were so analyzed by Richard Hendrickson, in a group of article in MRJ, but never collected in one place, AFAIK.

Tony Thompson

Steve SANDIFER

The Athearn car is a representative of a UP prototype. Major issues are that the diagonal pattern roof has the diagonal the wrong way and the underbody is, well, Athearn. UP tried to keep the yellow ones at home but the red ones went offline.

Steve Sandifer

Kenneth Montero wrote:

Is there a single source that lists the "almost dead-on right" Athearn cars - hopefully, including:
-- the prototype to which the model is "almost dead-on right",
-- what are the errors ?
A number of the Athearn cars were so analyzed by Richard Hendrickson, in a group of article in MRJ, but never collected in one place, AFAIK.

Tony Thompson

Kenneth Montero

Steve,

Thank you. I added your roof description to my list.

Ken Montero

Kenneth Montero wrote:

Is there a single source that lists the "almost dead-on right" Athearn cars - hopefully, including:
-- the prototype to which the model is "almost dead-on right",
-- what are the errors ?
A number of the Athearn cars were so analyzed by Richard Hendrickson, in a group of article in MRJ, but never collected in one place, AFAIK.

Tony Thompson

Louis Adler

I have always been curious why UP added the letter "D" to the reporting mark number.   Plz explain.  TIA.

Lou Adler

Bob Chaparro

D = Double-Deck
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

IIRC, the “D” indicated double deck. Other cars had a “T” to indicate triple deck, as in this example. Single deck cars had no letter suffix.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Louis Adler <lsainnwa@...>
Date: Monday, June 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] UP Livestock Car 47630D (Class Not Visible)

I have always been curious why UP added the letter "D" to the reporting mark number.   Plz explain.  TIA.

Lou Adler

Tim O'Connor

two (Double) decks for hogs and sheep