[URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Latest project from the Southern Piedmont shops DT&I USRA rebuild with Climax radial roof No 11799

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

VERY cool car and model, Fenton!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 11:32 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Latest project from the Southern Piedmont shops DT&I USRA rebuild with Climax radial roof No 11799

This is a combined effort from Rich Christy who provided the roof from an Atlas 1932 boxcar to Andy Carlson who made the resin casting of the roof who sent it to me and I cut down a Tichy USRA rebuild kit and applied the roof.  The roof had to be widened a bit but then the car went to gether in the normal fashion.  I used Scale coat II Rust for the color and K4 decals to letter it.  Accurail fish belly added to the underbody.  Thes cars were later converted to plug door insulated boxcars on the DT&I and were renumbered in the 19xxx series.
I like the unusual look of the car.
Fenton

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Elden

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Robert kirkham

Fenton, can you explain more of what “cut down a Tichy USRA rebuild kit” means in this case?  Is this the P&LE rebuilt boxcar?  How was it cut down?  That kind of info?  Its an inspiring model.

Rob