[URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] ARA steel Xm floor stringers

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Earl;

You are correct that drawings don't necessarily reflect stringers, but sometimes, yes.

Can't answer to pre-war additions or wooden stringer adds.

Drawing for X29B shows none, and that is as rebuilt post-war. You'd think they should given replacement of components to support new AB parts, including their supports.

The X29, later models at least, had single stringers, like the Red Caboose model, which accurately models a late X29 u/f arrangement, but not going into that subject.....

Drawing for X31A shows pre-rebuild single stringers, plus end diagonals, which WERE replaced with twin stringers per side, in post-war rebuilds, like in photo attached.

They were, absolutely, "Z-bar" stringers. I've looked at them close up, and touched them in person. They were continuous, length of car.

I don't have the correspondence, but I have never seen an X29 rebuilt with these dual stringer rebuilds.

The X29 was weak, and the odd placement of cross-bearers was not corrected until later X29 rebuilds put them under the doorway.

There must've been a detailed discussion on this within PRR, but again, I've not seen the correspondence.

Elden Gatwood