[URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Fritz;

Here is my model of an offal gon, done at the direction of Al Buchan, who witnessed these cars in action. 

Apparently, they used gons on their last legs, coated on the inside with asphaltum,  but they leaked anyways.

He said they originated at slaughterhouses and meatpacking plants that generated a lot of guts and body liquids, and smelled so bad they were consistently mis-routed so yard crews didn’t lose their lunch.

This particular car represents one in a famous “sloshing by hard coupling” incident in which a brakeman was inundated.

Al said the car was “spot on”.

Hope this helps,

Elden Gatwood 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fritz Milhaupt via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2022 4:37 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

William Hirt

A retired railroad friend has talked about them moving offal gondolas from Iowa packing plants. The smell in the summer was incredible he said with hordes of insects swarming the cars. The cars they hauled were being taken to the Tara, Iowa, area to be buried. He said one day a brakeman had the misfortune of falling into one of the offal gondolas. He had to ride outside for the remainder of the run and dispose of his clothes once they reached the end of the run.

BIll Hirt

On 7/1/2022 9:19 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Fritz;

Here is my model of an offal gon, done at the direction of Al Buchan, who witnessed these cars in action. 

Apparently, they used gons on their last legs, coated on the inside with asphaltum,  but they leaked anyways.

He said they originated at slaughterhouses and meatpacking plants that generated a lot of guts and body liquids, and smelled so bad they were consistently mis-routed so yard crews didn’t lose their lunch.

This particular car represents one in a famous “sloshing by hard coupling” incident in which a brakeman was inundated.

Hope this helps,

Elden Gatwood 

I’d hate to be near when slack action made that slosh out!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Gatwood, Elden J SAD" <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Friday, July 1, 2022 at 9:26 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

Fritz;

Hope this helps,

Elden Gatwood 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fritz Milhaupt via groups.io

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

The worst incident Al told me was of the newby who was told to figure out the problem on an offal gon set out on a siding for creating a brake line leak.  The crew dropped him off and left.  He spent all day under that gon trying to figure out where the leak was, with body liquids dripping on him constantly.  Only after many hours did he find that the trainline had separated inside a joint.

His co-workers wouldn’t let him in the yard office, he had to walk home.  His wife wouldn’t let him in the house.  They burned his clothes, but the stink remained.  He slept outdoors for a week, taking several showers a day with strong lye soap.  They cut his hair.  Poor guy.

Yard offices mis-routed the cars deliberately, so as to get them out of the yard.  They showed up in places they had no business being.  Oooops.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2022 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

I’d hate to be near when slack action made that slosh out!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Gatwood, Elden J SAD" <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Friday, July 1, 2022 at 9:26 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Fritz;

Hope this helps,

Elden Gatwood 

- Fritz Milhaupt