[URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Fritz;

Here is my model of an offal gon, done at the direction of Al Buchan, who witnessed these cars in action.

Apparently, they used gons on their last legs, coated on the inside with asphaltum,  but they leaked anyways.

He said they originated at slaughterhouses and meatpacking plants that generated a lot of guts and body liquids, and smelled so bad they were consistently mis-routed so yard crews didn’t lose their lunch.

This particular car represents one in a famous “sloshing by hard coupling” incident in which a brakeman was inundated.

Al said the car was “spot on”.

Hope this helps,

Elden Gatwood

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

The worst incident Al told me was of the newby who was told to figure out the problem on an offal gon set out on a siding for creating a brake line leak.  The crew dropped him off and left.  He spent all day under that gon trying to figure out where the leak was, with body liquids dripping on him constantly.  Only after many hours did he find that the trainline had separated inside a joint.

His co-workers wouldn’t let him in the yard office, he had to walk home.  His wife wouldn’t let him in the house.  They burned his clothes, but the stink remained.  He slept outdoors for a week, taking several showers a day with strong lye soap.  They cut his hair.  Poor guy.

Yard offices mis-routed the cars deliberately, so as to get them out of the yard.  They showed up in places they had no business being.  Oooops.

--

Brian Ehni