URTX/Milw Reefer Survivor

Bob Chapman

Gregg Condon forwarded these recent photos of this URTX/Milw wooden reefer in Winona, Minn., serving as a storage shed, and until recently hidden under falsework siding.

Here's the backstory, In Gregg's words:

"Railfanning is wayyy fun, especially when you discover the wayyy unexpected. Pat and I were driving down a street in Winona. We passed an old business building just as a couple guys finished tearing the end off an old shed and I saw it was lettered "URTX." I sez to Pat in a frenzy, "Go around the block!" We went back and she shot the attached pix with her phone. Dark cloudy day, but you can see that perhaps 80 to 90 years ago somebody had nailed two-by-two batts to a wooden refrigerator car and nailed siding over that. Built date is 1920. Interesting to see the preserved true paint colors from that era."

Regards,
Bob Chapman

mel perry

wonder what happened to it?
;-)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, 5:15 PM Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:
[...]

Attachments:

Dave Parker

If I'm reading the stencil right, the last reweigh was in 1944?  So, retirement from interchange might have been a bit later?
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Brian Carlson

Reweigh date looks like 44.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 20, 2021, at 8:15 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

[...]

<1.jpg>
<2.jpg>
<3.jpg>
<4.jpg>
<5.jpg>
<6.jpg>

Lloyd Keyser

Hope this gets preserved. LK

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 7:32 PM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Andy Laurent

I saw the end of that car poking out in what looked like an alley in downtown Winona last fall.  Interesting to see that it has come into the light!

Andy L.
Madison, WI

Schuyler Larrabee

Just catching this thread . . .

So what’s happened?  Has the car been preserved?  Has some museum been made aware of the car?  Is there hope that an essentially museum piece of a freight car will be given the treatment a survivor deserves?

Some years ago I learned that the owner of a short line that operates out of Scranton had a “thing” for TOFC trailers that were lettered for railroads.  I knew of one, and went looking for it again, putting a lot of miles on my car before realizing that it had been boxed in by more trailers.  I alerted this man who withing a few days had driven to Massachusetts, negotiated the acquisition, extracted the car in exchange for some other trailer, and took it back to Scranton for restoration, proudly lettered for the Erie Lackawanna..

So it CAN be done and that 101-year-old URTX reefer really deserves a safe and secure home.

Do what you can.

Schuyler

[...]

ROGER HINMAN

Very nice photos, thanks for sharing. It appears to be one of the many ACF cars that URTX had. My notes show this series were the earlier 1922 design so I question the 1920 build date. The 5.jpg clearly shows the 2 but the last digit appears to be hidden under the piece of wood. January 1923 would fit the delivery of the second lot of ACF cars.

Roger Hinman

On Apr 20, 2021, at 8:14 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

[...]

Looks like the STMFC fine print only allows two attached photos. Here are a couple more that Gregg has sent.

Bob Chapman

Bob Chapman

Two more (last)

Bob Chapman

O Fenton Wells

Love the Milwaukee logo

On Apr 21, 2021, at 5:52 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

Two more (last)

Bob Chapman
<5.jpg>
<6.jpg>

Schuyler Larrabee

Interesting.  I received six images on the first email.

Schuyler

[...]

Brian Termunde

So did I.

Brian Termunde
Midvale, UT

Schuyler Larrabee
5:14pm

Interesting.  I received six images on the first email.

Schuyler

Andy Laurent

Digest version only shows 2 attachments per message (you have to click "View/Reply Online" at the bottom of the message to see them all).  Individual email version allows all attachments to show.

Andy L.
Madison, WI