Topics

Using Pledge

lsittler

Good morning- I have been using Pledge to affix rivet decals to plastic and resin, based on the advice from Bill Welch and others in this group. It has worked very well. In those cases, I was brushing Pledge in the areas where the rivets were to be placed. But I have read that others use Pledge as a finish coat before applying decals. I am assuming that in those cases, Pledge was applied over  acrylic paint such as Polyscale, due to the flat finish of those paints, correct? Do you spray it on? If so, do you thin it? And what's the thinner? Or do you brush it in the areas where the decals go? Also, I'm thinking that with a paint like Scalecoat 2, this would be unnecessary since that paint has a gloss finish already  and  decals can be applied right on top. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. Les

Mont Switzer

Les,

I think the Pledge you are referring to is the old Future Floor Wax.  If that is the case I can relate my experience with it.

1.       When using flat or semi-gloss paints I apply the Pledge before decals.  This product seems to suck the decals down when a[applied afterwards.

2.       I spray Pledge through my air brush and apply it with a paint brush depending on the size of area I am working with.

3.       Over time the Pledge gets a little thick in the bottle, but it is easily thinned.  I used distilled water.

4.       I do not feel there is a need to use Pledge over Scalecoat and Scalecoat II glossy finish paints.  They take decals well.

5.       Pledge dries fast and is decal ready in about 15 minutes.

6.       I believe it has some self-leveling characteristics.

I have not tried using Pledge OVER rivet decals, but it seems like a pretty good idea to try.  I do try to avoid applying any sort of decal on unpainted (uncoated) styrene.  The rivet and weld seam decals seem to adhere better to paint or Pledge.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.