Topics

Using Pledge

lsittler

Good morning- I have been using Pledge to affix rivet decals to plastic and resin, based on the advice from Bill Welch and others in this group. It has worked very well. In those cases, I was brushing Pledge in the areas where the rivets were to be placed. But I have read that others use Pledge as a finish coat before applying decals. I am assuming that in those cases, Pledge was applied over  acrylic paint such as Polyscale, due to the flat finish of those paints, correct? Do you spray it on? If so, do you thin it? And what's the thinner? Or do you brush it in the areas where the decals go? Also, I'm thinking that with a paint like Scalecoat 2, this would be unnecessary since that paint has a gloss finish already  and  decals can be applied right on top. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. Les

Mont Switzer

Les,

I think the Pledge you are referring to is the old Future Floor Wax.  If that is the case I can relate my experience with it.

1.       When using flat or semi-gloss paints I apply the Pledge before decals.  This product seems to suck the decals down when a[applied afterwards. 

2.       I spray Pledge through my air brush and apply it with a paint brush depending on the size of area I am working with.

3.       Over time the Pledge gets a little thick in the bottle, but it is easily thinned.  I used distilled water.

4.       I do not feel there is a need to use Pledge over Scalecoat and Scalecoat II glossy finish paints.  They take decals well.

5.       Pledge dries fast and is decal ready in about 15 minutes.

6.       I believe it has some self-leveling characteristics.

I have not tried using Pledge OVER rivet decals, but it seems like a pretty good idea to try.  I do try to avoid applying any sort of decal on unpainted (uncoated) styrene.  The rivet and weld seam decals seem to adhere better to paint or Pledge.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of lsittler
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 6:40 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Using Pledge

Good morning- I have been using Pledge to affix rivet decals to plastic and resin, based on the advice from Bill Welch and others in this group. It has worked very well. In those cases, I was brushing Pledge in the areas where the rivets were to be placed. But I have read that others use Pledge as a finish coat before applying decals. I am assuming that in those cases, Pledge was applied over  acrylic paint such as Polyscale, due to the flat finish of those paints, correct? Do you spray it on? If so, do you thin it? And what's the thinner? Or do you brush it in the areas where the decals go? Also, I'm thinking that with a paint like Scalecoat 2, this would be unnecessary since that paint has a gloss finish already  and  decals can be applied right on top. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. Les

Bruce Smith

Les,

Airbrush, no thinner, better in a couple thin coats. It can go on over any paint, acrylic or not. Just make sure that the non-acrylic paint is completely dry (48 hours).

If a paint works well for you for decaling already, no need for Future.

I typically do the whole car side, although I concentrate on the areas where decals will go to make sure that they are covered. I often, but not always, do a coat OVER the decals after they are on. 

If you just have a small decal to do, such as a chalk mark, then use a brush, just in that area. 

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of lsittler <lsittler@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 5:40 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Mont Switzer

Bruce,

I’ve not OVERCOATED decals with Future.  I assume it helps the decals lay down better and that is why you do it? 

I use Testor’s dullcoat to eliminate the Future shine.  Sometimes a second coat is required.

Mont  

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Using Pledge

Les,

Airbrush, no thinner, better in a couple thin coats. It can go on over any paint, acrylic or not. Just make sure that the non-acrylic paint is completely dry (48 hours).

If a paint works well for you for decaling already, no need for Future.

I typically do the whole car side, although I concentrate on the areas where decals will go to make sure that they are covered. I often, but not always, do a coat OVER the decals after they are on. 

If you just have a small decal to do, such as a chalk mark, then use a brush, just in that area. 

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of lsittler <lsittler@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Douglas Harding

The Pledge/Future floor finish product is 100% clear acrylic. No need to thin for airbrushing. It can also be brushed on, good for small areas. Clean up with water. It provides a gloss finish perfect for decals. I have created a flat finish by mixing Tamiya Flat Base with, at a 10 to 1 ratio.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bruce Smith

Mont,

Yes, the military modelers, from whom I learned about Future, overcoat decals with a coat of Future to help them disappear. I think that the idea is to have a similar finish on the entire model, prior to applying a flat finish. I can’t say I’ve noticed a huge difference, but on cars where I am not going to be weathering much, or at all, like my in-progress GN plywood cars, or some passenger cars, I think it does improve the final product.

Regards,
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2020, at 6:54 AM, Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...> wrote:

Bruce,

I’ve not OVERCOATED decals with Future.  I assume it helps the decals lay down better and that is why you do it? 

I use Testor’s dullcoat to eliminate the Future shine.  Sometimes a second coat is required.

Mont  

Montford L. Switzer
President
Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.
Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.
(765) 836-2914

Eric Hansmann

Here’s a 2016 blog post about working with Pledge Future acrylic floor wax.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/working-with-future/

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Mont Switzer

Doug,

I store my Future in small Floquil size bottles.  It can over time get a little “stiff,” at lease in the small bottles.  Distilled water takes care of that.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 8:21 AM

The Pledge/Future floor finish product is 100% clear acrylic. No need to thin for airbrushing. It can also be brushed on, good for small areas. Clean up with water. It provides a gloss finish perfect for decals. I have created a flat finish by mixing Tamiya Flat Base with, at a 10 to 1 ratio.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Mont Switzer

Bruce,

Thanks.  I will give that process a try; Future on both sides of the decal lettering.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 8:38 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Mont,

Yes, the military modelers, from whom I learned about Future, overcoat decals with a coat of Future to help them disappear. I think that the idea is to have a similar finish on the entire model, prior to applying a flat finish. I can’t say I’ve noticed a huge difference, but on cars where I am not going to be weathering much, or at all, like my in-progress GN plywood cars, or some passenger cars, I think it does improve the final product.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

Mont  

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

(765) 836-2914

lsittler

Thanks for all the comments and information. This group is very helpful and I really appreciate it. Les

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

On Sep 23, 2020 10:16 AM, Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...> wrote:

Bruce,

Thanks. I will give that process a try; Future on both sides of the decal lettering.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 8:38 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Mont,

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

I’ve not OVERCOATED decals with Future. I assume it helps the decals lay down better and that is why you do it?

I use Testor’s dullcoat to eliminate the Future shine. Sometimes a second coat is required.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

(765) 836-2914

Ken Adams

I hand brush Pledge as the self leveling action of the product does not require an air brush (which I can't use anyway.) I cover just the larger area the decal will go on such as the whole side of a car but not the roof. I don't feel I need to cover areas such as car roofs or underframe where no decals will be applied. Use a clean soft very fine bristle art brush to apply pledge. I clean the brushes with IPA and water immediately after use.

After decaling I spray with a rattle can Tamiya matte finish. 
--
Ken Adams
Still in splendid Shelter In Place solitude, about half way up Walnut Creek