From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 12:38 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR G22 question

Rob;

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but two questions come to mind:- when they increase capacity by changing the trucks . . . doesn't that mean the car frame and body are being subjected to higher loads? Is there a sense that cars with the heavier trucks end up wearing out faster than cars with the lower capacity trucks?
Yes, and yes. I read some correspondence on this, and PRR was cognizant of wearing cars out earlier, but went with it where they thought the car capable of taking it. Note that PRR did NOT do this on their USRA gons, a weak design.

- were cars with the containers free roaming - as in across the continent - or prone to PRR turf? I've not seen a photo of one in the Frost collection (West Coast Canada) for example.
They were generally in dedicated service from a cement plant to cement user. A dolomite facility to a steel mill; like that.

Elden Gatwood