Topics

UTLX Dry Bulk Tank Car 81014

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

I also exploring the U of KY site, and found this very interesting UTLX triple-dome tank car, apparently converted to, or built new as, a dry bulk car. The photo is dated 1934. I've seen builder's photos of similar cars, but this is the first I've seen in an in-service photo, and the first of a UTLX car.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Hello Garth and all,

This is a very fun shot, I believe I have seen a low res. version of this before. Couldn't make much out on that one.
Thanks for this post.

The car looks like a UTL type V 10k car ( 5 courses ) and it looks to be in it's second rebuilding.

Note different dome sizes and hand grab locations on domes + offset ladder on left side of car, Cool.
You can make out original ( old style ) ladder steps to right of center dome.

With all the L&N stuff in the shot, tank car in kaolin service maybe?

PFE reefer in background with enamel shield, separating / loosening from side.

Regards,
Dan Smith

Bruce Smith

Garth,

We discussed this car and the entire very cool scene back in December 2018.

and originally in February 2015

Lots of information in those two threads about the cars in the scene.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL