W&LE wood coal gon at Beechwood Mine, Fairmont Coal Company, Monongalia County, WV 1907

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

W&LE wood coal gon at Beechwood Mine, Fairmont Coal Company, Monongalia County, W. Va 1907

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

benjamin

The verbiage with the picture said capacity 750 tons.  Is this the daily output of the mine? Weekly? Monthly?
Thanks for the photos!
Ben Heinley

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 8:21 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

W&LE wood coal gon at Beechwood Mine, Fairmont Coal Company, Monongalia County, W. Va 1907

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

Here’s the full sentence from the site. 

Information with print includes "Electric Mining, Rope and Electric Haulage, Capacity 750 Tons". 

I think the capacity is for the mining, rope and haulage system not necessarily the tipple output. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jun 23, 2021, at 12:32 AM, benjamin <bheinley@...> wrote:

The verbiage with the picture said capacity 750 tons.  Is this the daily output of the mine? Weekly? Monthly?
Thanks for the photos!
Ben Heinley

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 8:21 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ben and List Members,

Ben asked: "The verbiage with the picture said capacity 750 tons.  Is this the daily output of the mine? Weekly? Monthly?"

I don't have the answer to this, however, to shine another perspective on the topic, 750 tons is fifteen 50-ton (twin) hoppers or eleven 70-ton (triple or quad) hoppers

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] W&LE wood coal gon at Beechwood Mine, Fairmont Coal Company, Monongalia County, WV 1907

Here’s the full sentence from the site. 

Information with print includes "Electric Mining, Rope and Electric Haulage, Capacity 750 Tons". 

I think the capacity is for the mining, rope and haulage system not necessarily the tipple output. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jun 23, 2021, at 12:32 AM, benjamin <bheinley@...> wrote:

Thanks for the photos!
Ben Heinley

Hi List Members,

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

On this subject of mines, the production numbers of mines from the time period in question (circa 1910) are available online thanks to scans of the WV Geological Survey books. This mine in question (Consolidated #30 at Beechwood, WV) had a daily rated capacity of 350 tons (using long tons, where 2240lb = 1 long ton), but was only producing 155 tons per day on average in 1910/1911. 

So the "750 tons" number does appear to refer to the capacity of the haulage system and not the mine's production.

Link to source: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001522988

Overview page (pg 713 of scan) of Mon County: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015035520637&view=1up&seq=713

Description of Mine (pg 755 of scan): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015035520637&view=1up&seq=755

Copies of these surveys are generally available for every county in West Virginia, and contain a wealth of information regarding mine and coke oven production of the time. There are also photographs and numerous maps scattered throughout, some of which include detail and overview shots of tipples and various freight cars. 

--
Andy Cummings
Houston, TX

Keith Retterer

Here is a builder's photo of W&LE 5000, built at the SSCC Butler Works in 1906.  

Keith