Topics

Wa;lthers Mainline NW-2 Phase 5 Announcement

Nelson Moyer

I just heard that Walthers is coming out with yet another NW-2 phase 5, when BLI has already issued them, and nobody but Kato has issued NW-2 Phase 1, and those aren’t DCC/sound or readily available anymore. If anyone has any commercial clout with Walters, please implore them to issue NW-2 phases that haven’t already been released, especially Phase 1 to replace the Kato model. I’m running BLI phase 5’s only until phase 1’s become available, the sooner the better. The CB&Q had 45 NW-2’s, and exactly one was Phase 5.

Nelson Moyer

mopacfirst

Maybe we can combine those with the PA-3 (PA-2?) that's never been made by Walthers or anyone else in plastic.

Ron Merrick

Nelson Moyer

If we’re adding never been done before models, how about the EMD E-5 in HO. Yes, I know only CB&Q bought it, but it’s such a classic that surely somebody besides Q modelers would buy it.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mopacfirst
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 1:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wa;lthers Mainline NW-2 Phase 5 Announcement

Maybe we can combine those with the PA-3 (PA-2?) that's never been made by Walthers or anyone else in plastic.

Ron Merrick

Charlie Vlk

All-

The NW-2 Ph 5 is not a never done before model.   The Broadway Limited NW-2 is a Phase 5.  Also, BLI tooled the larger radiator making it a  SW-7 Ph I and with the tooled small front window cab a SW-7 Ph II.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 1:22 PM

If we’re adding never been done before models, how about the EMD E-5 in HO. Yes, I know only CB&Q bought it, but it’s such a classic that surely somebody besides Q modelers would buy it.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mopacfirst

Ron Merrick

Charlie Vlk

All-

Another off-topic post that has to be refuted….

The BLI PA in both HO and N specifically had the grills done in etched brass so the Farr-Air grille of the late PA-2 could be modeled.  It was one of the tools that was surrendered by BLI in the MTH deal and I don’t know if the HO Farr-Air version has been released by them.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of mopacfirst

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

If anyone wants Phase 1 Kato NW-2's I have some. :-) I sold a couple of SP units a
few weeks ago.

Tim O'Connor

On 8/12/2019 2:15 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

I just heard that Walthers is coming out with yet another NW-2 phase 5, when BLI has already issued them, and nobody but Kato has issued NW-2 Phase 1, and those aren’t DCC/sound or readily available anymore. If anyone has any commercial clout with Walters, please implore them to issue NW-2 phases that haven’t already been released, especially Phase 1 to replace the Kato model. I’m running BLI phase 5’s only until phase 1’s become available, the sooner the better. The CB&Q had 45 NW-2’s, and exactly one was Phase 5.

Nelson Moyer

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

Ahem, I bet you meant to send your message to some sort of Diesel Discussion Group didn't you Nelson?

Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Nelson,

I have two of Kato's NW-2''s that were repainted for Boston & Maine units. Both of these are excellent models.
Since Kato has already offered a version you like that is a swell running model why not try to convince Kato to
offer it again both with and without DCC & sound rather than take a chance on Walthers doing something right?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Nelson Moyer

Charlie, the never done before was in reference to the PA’s mentioned, not the NW-2 phase 5. I was just tacking on the E-5 in HO plastic, which has never been done either.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 2:46 PM

All-

The NW-2 Ph 5 is not a never done before model.   The Broadway Limited NW-2 is a Phase 5.  Also, BLI tooled the larger radiator making it a  SW-7 Ph I and with the tooled small front window cab a SW-7 Ph II.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 1:22 PM

Nelson Moyer

Ron Merrick

Nelson Moyer

OOOPS – I forgot this was a freight car group. But diesels are very important, because freight cars wouldn’t get very far without diesels ; )

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 4:11 PM

Ahem, I bet you meant to send your message to some sort of Diesel Discussion Group didn't you Nelson?

Bill Welch

vapeurchapelon

What is a diesel?

Johannes
running nothing but steam engines. BTW, this group is STEAM era freight cars :-)

Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. August 2019 um 00:12 Uhr
Von: "Nelson Moyer" <npmoyer@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wa;lthers Mainline NW-2 Phase 5 Announcement

OOOPS – I forgot this was a freight car group. But diesels are very important, because freight cars wouldn’t get very far without diesels ; )

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Charles Peck

Most of mine would not recognize anything with infernal combustion.  This
IS the STEAM ERA group.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:13 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Bill Welch

Nelson Moyer

Wasn’t there a transition period?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 5:28 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

IS the STEAM ERA group.

Chuck Peck

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:13 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Bill Welch

Garth Groff

Friends,

More to the point, this is a FREIGHT CAR group, not a locomotive group. I'm surprised our fearless lawman leader hasn't shut hasn't been jangling his keys.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/12/19 6:28 PM, Charles Peck wrote:
IS the STEAM ERA group.
Chuck Peck

D. Scott Chatfield

Calling the BLI hermaphrodite a proper NW2 is not to be done in polite company.  I am sure the Walthers model will be a great improvement.  And hopefully the beginning of a line of several phases of NW2s, all of which moved > freightcars < throughout their long careers.

Scott Chatfield