Topics

WAB Postwar AAR DD Boxcar – Front Range Upgrade #4

Bob Chapman

Wabash #8188 is a member of the 300-car DD boxcars series #8000-8299 of 1950. The carbodies featured 12-foot door openings, R-3-4 early improved dreadnaught ends, riveted panels, and a diagonal panel roof. Front Range’s circa-1990 kit #4090 nearly matches this prototype, exceptions being a 13-foot door opening and the later-style improved dreadnaught ends.

The door opening was narrowed to 12 feet with styrene spacers, and the deep-fishbelly sidesill narrowed to more typical depth, bolster to bolster. Contemporary detail adds include Apex runningboard, Kadee 7/7 ladders and Miner brakewheel, and Tahoe Barber S-2 trucks. Decals are K4.

Thanks to Chet French for his technical help. Fun fact – according to Chet (and confirmed on the WAB lettering diagram), WAB added an extra 3” between the first and second numeral of a 4-digit car number; if five digits, the space moved between the second and third numerals.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Robert kirkham

Really nice model!  Am very curious to hear what paint/ colour you used for the faded boxcar red?

Rob

On Aug 21, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Robert Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

[...]

<WAB Ptd.JPG><WAB DD Unptd.JPG>

James Brewer

Great looking car Bob.....great weathering too!

Jim Brewer

Michael Gross

Another beauty, Bob. Thank you!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Bob Chapman

Rob Kirkham asks:
Am very curious to hear what paint/ colour you used for the faded boxcar red?

Rob --
Unless you're also a paint dinosaur, this probably won't be helpful. The car is Floquil Southern Freight Car Brown, with an overspray of Floquil Oxide Red. Lacking anything better, I continue to use the freight car color suggestions in RPCyc #3.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Scott

Wonderful model!  Great photography too!  Do you do any photography clinics?  You clearly know what your doing (pun intended).

Scott McDonald

Ken Adams

Excellent color. I will need to experiment with the Tamiya Acrylic sprays and Vallejo brushed washes I use these days to match.  (Apartment life with a 10-20 mile wind on the deck, when I can go outside at all for the smoke and heat, precludes air brushing. I have to time the Tamiya sprays between gusts.)
--
Ken Adams

Robert kirkham

Thanks Bob - can’t argue with success!  I’m using Vallejo, but still find it useful to know about other paint choices.  It helps bridge some of the information lost when not being able to see a model in person.

Rob

Rob Kirkham asks:

Scott McDonald writes:
Great photography too!  Do you do any photography clinics?  You clearly know what your doing (pun intended).

Wow, I've never been accused of being a photographer -- thanks! I'll give primary credit to the Denver sun, all 300+ annual days of it; I get much better results outside than inside. If I shoot when the sun is lower, I can get some lighting on the trucks, etc. I try to avoid very early or very late shooting, since it tends to mess up the colors. I sometimes do some minor Photoshop tweaking (usually "Lighten"), but mostly don't have to. The camera is nothing fancy -- a Nikon Coolpix.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Tony Thompson

Thanks Tom.

On Aug 24, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

I'll second Bob's recommendation of the Colorado sun and photographing outdoors (but not in direct sunlight). I have one of those LED lighting boxes but have found the LED strip lighting is too flat and diffuse to make details really pop. The attached photo was shot out on the edge of my covered patio on a sunny day with the mid-afternoon light source high and to the right. The background is one of the four that came with the LED box. Canon Powershot pocket camera, nothing special but it lets me get really close. And tends toward fisheye if too close.

Colorado sun is optional.....

Tom Madden
<Walth 3.jpg>