Topics

Wabash 7000-7299

mopacfirst

Can anyone shed more light on the boxcar series WAB 7000-7299?  I have two Branchline decorated cars that I stopped working on, partway through.  My recollection is that I discovered something major that was different between the model and the prototype that I chose not to try to change, but I don't remember what it was.

I've confirmed in ORERs from the late 50s that this car series existed, and they were 40' XM with a 6' door, and that substantially all of the cars were in service (quantity in the high 290s).  The model has R/3-4 interim Dreadnaught rolling pin ends.

What I have not found is any pictures on line.  I have a Wabash (WAB-NKP if I recall) color guide but it's not here.  Any comments?

Ron Merrick

James Brewer

Ron,

I don't have a photo of these cars; however, I can tell you they were absorbed into the N&W as part of the 1964 merger with Wabash, Nickel Plate, etc.  They were designated N&W Class B69 and renumbered by adding 30 in front of the Wabash number. I've attached scans of the diagram N&W diagram sheets I have for this car.  N&W further renumbered and reclassified these cars but I have no idea why.

Note under the Car Body Data there are two Z stringers on each side; I'm not familiar with the model you have but maybe this was something you wanted to check on.

Also, there are several drawings, but no photos, of these cars in the NWHS archives which can be viewed here:

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=542

Hope this helps.

Jim Brewer

mopacfirst

Jim:  I agree not enough information to positively identify some of the characteristics of the prototype cars, except that the end drawing confirms it's the same as on the model.

While many of the Branchline models are dead on, I often changed minor characteristics such as the corner sidesill stirrups, or the lack of poling pockets, or adding roping staples, or similar things that could be easily carved off.  If I need to add a sidesill reinforcement or something, I think the Branchline Wabash paint could be matched with oxide red or similar.  Won't know unless I try it.

Ron Merrick

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:21 AM, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

Can anyone shed more light on the boxcar series WAB 7000-7299?  I have two Branchline decorated cars that I stopped working on, partway through.  My recollection is that I discovered something major that was different between the model and the prototype that I chose not to try to change, but I don't remember what it was.

I've confirmed in ORERs from the late 50s that this car series existed, and they were 40' XM with a 6' door, and that substantially all of the cars were in service (quantity in the high 290s).  The model has R/3-4 interim Dreadnaught rolling pin ends.

What I have not found is any pictures on line.  I have a Wabash (WAB-NKP if I recall) color guide but it's not here.  Any comments?

Ron,
Perhaps the notes column of my Postwar AAR R+3-4 IDN (1948-1954) roster would help to define the differences of the prototype cars vs. the Branchline model. For these Wabash box cars the side sill door reinforcements extended from bolster to bolster, whereas the BT model has the more-common AAR design in which the side sill door reinforcements are shorter and having intermediate crosstie side sill connections. Other visible differences were door gussets (5-sided doubler plates riveted adjacent to the left & right door posts) and vertically-mounted roping staples.

My notes indicate two left-side photos that I’ve seen: W.C. Whittaker photo of 7095 (2-55 reweigh), Paul Dunn photo of 7080 (12-58 reweigh) that was once available from Bob Lorenz. Both cars were built 6-52.

Hope this helps,
Ed Hawkins

Rick Jesionowski

The major difference is the straight side sill from bolster to bolster. Information on these cars can be found here.

Rick Jesionowski

mopacfirst

Ed:

This helps a lot.  I have these files downloaded and in paper form, should have pulled this one also to see what it had.  My best guess is the bolter-to-bolster sidesill is the major difference in these cars, but I've done some of those before so shouldn't be an issue.

Ron Merrick

Rick Jesionowski

By the way page 22 in the Wab/NKP etc color guide there is a picture of the car.

Rick Jesionowski

mopacfirst

Thanks, and when I rejoin my books I'll check it.

Ron Merrick