Wanted: Chooch sugar beet loads - HO scale

Peter Hall

Wanted to buy:  Chooch sugar beet loads - HO scale

If anyone has old Chooch sugar beet loads (HO scale) that they no longer need, I'll be happy to purchase them and take them off your hands.

Thanks
Pete

Jim Betz

Pete,
  I know one SP modeler who swears by Anise seeds for sugar beet loads ... Jim in the PNW

Nelson Moyer

A friend used Anise seeds for a beet train, and after a few months the cars were infested with bugs. If you use Anise seeds, you better treat them to discourage bugs. Perhaps run them through an alcohol dehydration series, or treat them with something repellent or toxic to bugs.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Saturday, May 7, 2022 5:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wanted: Chooch sugar beet loads - HO scale

Pete,
  I know one SP modeler who swears by Anise seeds for sugar beet loads ... Jim in the PNW

Ray Hutchison

I would like to get just one and then make a mold for other copies…

IIRC, mice also like them.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 7:38 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

A friend used Anise seeds for a beet train, and after a few months the cars were infested with bugs. If you use Anise seeds, you better treat them to discourage bugs. Perhaps run them through an alcohol dehydration series, or treat them with something repellent or toxic to bugs.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Saturday, May 7, 2022 5:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Pete,

Craig Wilson

A friend of mine had a layout based on a railroad that shipped taconite in ore cars via car ferry during the winter months when the lakes were iced over.  He made loads out of seeds (maybe Anise, I don't recall) that he thought looked very good.

One night he was in the basement and heard strange noises.  Upon investigation he found his car ferry model with ore cars derailed and. jammed up in the stern.  Yep . . . a mouse had gotten in and got trapped when chowing down on the seeds.  Fortunately he discovered this before the critter chewed a hole in the side of his prized car ferry model to escape.  After tracking down where mice were getting in, the seed loads were discarded and he looked for other solutions to model the loads.

So it is not just bugs.  Any potential food source can attract unwelcome visitors.

Craig Wilson

Peter Hall

Anise seeds are very aromatic.  I’ve had a jar of them “off-gassing” for years, and I can still smell them.  I believe they would have to be sealed some way - perhaps with liquid floor wax or several coats of Dullcoat.  I haven’t tried any method yet.

Thanks
Pete

On May 7, 2022, at 7:38 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Saturday, May 7, 2022 5:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wanted: Chooch sugar beet loads - HO scale

Pete,

Richard Townsend

The main problem with anise seeds, other than their attractiveness to pests, is that they are way oversized for HO. I’ve been looking for something else for a long time but haven’t come up with anything yet. If I do come up with something I intend to make some loads and then cast them to eliminate the pest problem.

On May 7, 2022, at 9:55 AM, Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:

Anise seeds are very aromatic.  I’ve had a jar of them “off-gassing” for years, and I can still smell them.  I believe they would have to be sealed some way - perhaps with liquid floor wax or several coats of Dullcoat.  I haven’t tried any method yet.

Thanks
Pete

Nelson Moyer

Pete,

Dave Lawler

I recently bought some tiny beads from an outfit called FIRE MOUNTAIN GEMS on line to make HO insulators for line poles. They have about a zillion different kind/sizes of beads.
You might be able to find what you are looking for there to make a pattern for molding by epoxying them to a base. It's interesting to look at all the stuff in their online catalog.
Dave lawler
Avon Lake, Ohio

Bernd Schroeder

Edited

hi all,

for beet modelling in HO, some of the european groups use red clover seeds.

Bernd

Adelsdorf, Germany

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail gesendet.
Am 07.05.22, 19:09 schrieb "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>:

The main problem with anise seeds, other than their attractiveness to pests, is that they are way oversized for HO. I’ve been looking for something else for a long time but haven’t come up with anything yet. If I do come up with something I intend to make some loads and then cast them to eliminate the pest problem.

Thanks
Pete

Nelson Moyer

Pete,

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

A rather famous model railroader, since passed away, used poppy seeds to model taconite loads. He returned from a business trip one day, and his wife said, "I was in the basement and the boat moved", the boat being the model car ferry on the layout. Descending to the layout layout room, "the boat" did indeed jiggle. As he approached it, two mice shot out. It seems the little buggers had grazed all the seeds off the cars, worse yet, to get the last seeds they nibbled the modeled pellet extensions off, too.

Dennis Storzek

Peter Hall

Interesting!  They do look like they could be HO scale beets (this photo is enlarged.  How do they prepare the seeds - microwave?  How do they seal the seeds against insects or rodents?

Thanks
Pete

On May 7, 2022, at 2:52 PM, Bernd Schroeder <schroed2.bears@...> wrote:

hi all,

for beet modelling in HO, some of the Eurppem groups use red clover seeds.

Bernd

Adelsdorf, Germany

-- 
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail gesendet.
Am 07.05.22, 19:09 schrieb "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend@...>:

Thanks
Pete

Nelson Moyer

Pete, 

Mark Vinski

Small grains of river sand look like that.

Mark Vinski

Jerry Michels

This may be off base, but what about mixing in a little red pepper in the anise seeds? Not enough to make a visual difference but enough to give rodents a hot mouth. Although the anise seeds look to be a good color for sugar beets, if you intend to paint them, some noasty hot sauce could be mixed with it. Jerry Michels

Hudson Leighton

Use the anise seeds or whatever to make a master and then cast inedible loads.

This type of casting is about the easiest type of resin/plaster casting and is good way to
get your feet wet in casting.

-Hudson

Lester Breuer

Anise seeds used for load.   Anise seeds over white glue on foam and when dried sprayed with lacquer.   Made when article regarding use appeared and never a problem with the mice.

Keep Modeling, Keep Sharing,
Lester Breuer

Christopher J. Palermo

I used cumin seeds affixed with matte medium and an overspray of Dullcote. I’ve never had insect or rodent problems. They require a wash of color as their natural state is too yellow-brown. They also require using cuticle scissors to clip off the hairlike root that extends from one end. A bit of a pain but it only takes about five minutes per load. I had not completed that step at the time of this photo. And I am aware that this load is too high … it was a first attempt at the technique.

Chris Palermo
Austin, Texas

Bruce Griffin

It appears that there will be a release of an HO scale sugar beet load this month...

https://micro-trains.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4400&search=ho+load+2022&description=true

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Peter Hall

Well, just in time!

Thanks for the new arrival announcement.

Thanks
Pete

On May 19, 2022, at 10:19 AM, Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

It appears that there will be a release of an HO scale sugar beet load this month...

https://micro-trains.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4400&search=ho+load+2022&description=true

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/