Topics

Wanting to model accurate watermelon loads

Don Hand

Group - One good reference is the article, Moving Melons by Rail, by David Steer, Railroad Model Craftsman, Jan. 2014. More about the cars is in Ventilated Box Car, by Robert L. Hundman, Mainline Modeler, Apr. 2006.

I live in Hempstead, Texas, which was the watermelon shipping capital of the U.S., prior to 194O.  Although, surviving photos show watermelons being shipped primarily in T&NO stock cars.

Don Hand

Charles Etheredge

Right on Don.   Somewhere I have a picture of a whole string of horse-pulled wagons lined up waiting to unload their wagons into TNO cattle calls.  That was in Hempstead, Tx.  also.

Rick Naylor

Muscatine Melon: A Case Study of a Place-based Food in Iowa Susan Futrell – One Backyard Consulting, Iowa City, Iowa and Craig Chase – ISU Extension Farm Management, Waterloo, Iowa
core.ac.uk

By 1921, production of melons from Muscatine County totaled 750 carloads of watermelon, produced on around 2000 acres of land; and 100 carloads of muskmelon and cantaloupe, grown on around 500 acres. The 1925 Iowa State Vegetable Growers Association reported that Hal Wolford of Conesville was growing Hales Best and Perfectos: “The biggest benefit over California melons is that they are vine-ripened close to market.” It took approximately 12 days for the melons to reach the East Coast from the West Coast, whereas it took about six to eight days from Iowa (Iowa State Vegetable Growers Association Annual Report, 1925). Truck growers at this point used domestic farm labor for producing and harvesting, and any other labor needed came from the city of Muscatine. Most of the vegetables were marketed in Chicago, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, and the Twin Cities. Chicago was a 12-hour run by railroad; St. Louis, Kansas City and New Orleans were on direct rail lines, which offered good transportation facilities to the area growers. The Growers Association also reported for the first time in 1925 that Iowa cantaloupes were shipped to New York in carlots.

Group - One good reference is the article, Moving Melons by Rail, by David Steer, Railroad Model Craftsman, Jan. 2014. More about the cars is in Ventilated Box Car, by Robert L. Hundman, Mainline Modeler, Apr. 2006.

I live in Hempstead, Texas, which was the watermelon shipping capital of the U.S., prior to 194O.  Although, surviving photos show watermelons being shipped primarily in T&NO stock cars.

Don Hand

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Rick,

I, and my parents were born in Iowa, though I grew up in La-La Land (aka California). We ate a lot of watermelons when I was young, most of them probably coming from around Fresno. My parents always complained about the taste, and longed for a Muscatine melon. My mother told me they were only sold locally because they had such thin rinds that they didn't ship well. Obviously that is not the case, unless by the late 1940s they had been bred to have thinner rinds or some other factor that later limited their sales range.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆