Topics

Was Photo: URTX 5365 - Oscar Mayer Reefer / Now: Roof hatches

np328

   Bob gave us the following link in msg 176179
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM13658

     And I may have missed this design in the books I quickly perused however -
The roof hatches appear to be diamond tread overlay material, and the hefty beams to hold the open hatches could underscore that they are plate steel, however I cannot recall seeing these roof hatches prior, and the accompanying latches.  Wow can you imagine being in a hurry to open those, or worse yet pinch a finger when closing them.
   Modeled by a foil overlay?
    Can anyone provide a bit of enlightenment as to the design?                                                                                                    Thanks      Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

Douglas Harding

Jim an interesting detail, which I had not noticed before when looking at the photo. Thanks for pointing it out. I don’t recall seeing steel diamond plate used on ice hatches.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

   Bob gave us the following link in msg 176179
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM13658

     And I may have missed this design in the books I quickly perused however -
The roof hatches appear to be diamond tread overlay material, and the hefty beams to hold the open hatches could underscore that they are plate steel, however I cannot recall seeing these roof hatches prior, and the accompanying latches.  Wow can you imagine being in a hurry to open those, or worse yet pinch a finger when closing them.
   Modeled by a foil overlay?
    Can anyone provide a bit of enlightenment as to the design?                                                                                                    Thanks      Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

mopacfirst

Some HO model, perhaps a Sunshine, did have hatch covers formed of diamond plate, and a photo accompanied it to prove that this was correct.

But I would note that this plate was probably 1/8" thick at best, so it wouldn't be that heavy.  As far as I know, diamond plate, also known as diamond tread plate or checker plate, was and is never very thick.  It's advertised currently as 1/8" and 3/16" thick, and I doubt it could easily be rolled much thicker.

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

Now I remember where I saw that diamond plate on the hatches.  The prototype was MDT, and the model was the Sunshine 20.1.  All I had to do was go look at the model in the other room.

Ron Merrick

pennsylvania1954

Two more places you might have seen diamond plate hatches. ART used them. Photos in The Eagle from the MPHS, Winter 2003. See page 9. Also Intermoutain provided them as an option in ART reefers available from Amarillo RR/Missouri Pacific Historical Society.

I just happen to have one nearly finished on my work bench.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL