WCHX type X tank car

Andy Carlson

Maybe this has been shared before, but a color shot of a framed type X tank car in LA's Taylor yard deserves some re-viewing. WCHX 4095 with AB brakes, believed to be circa 1958.

Inline image

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Andy and Friends,

W.C. Haftner Co., operating 99 cars in 1958. According to my 1958 ORER listing, this is from series 4065 to 4102, an ICC 103 type, with a capacity of 4,500 gallons. A note says this car has an aluminum tank. I'm not buying that. Likely this photo is from before 1958, and had been replaced by a newer car using the same number.

Or could that be 4055? If so, it was off the roster by 1958, as there is no car with that number listed. Anybody with an earlier ORER want to take a swing at this one?

Nice photo though. Very interesting car.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 11:16 AM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
Maybe this has been shared before, but a color shot of a framed type X tank car in LA's Taylor yard deserves some re-viewing. WCHX 4095 with AB brakes, believed to be circa 1958.

Inline image

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Chris Barkan

I am thinking it looks like 4085.  See enhanced photo attached.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Andy Carlson

Inline image
Maybe 4096?

I am thinking it looks like 4085.  See enhanced photo attached.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL
_._,_._,_

Dave Bayless

Looks like 4095 to me, just like the caption says.
Dave B.
Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

From: Chris Barkan >

I am thinking it looks like 4085.  See enhanced photo attached.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL
_._,_._,_

Steve and Barb Hile

While this looks like an ex-UTLX Type X car, I am not so sure.  A 6500 gallon Type X car’s tank looks “beefier” than this one.  So a 4000 or 4500 gallon car seems more likely.  I don’t recall UTLX having any 4500 gallon Type X cars.

When UTLX converted Type X cars to AB brakes, only the reservoir was placed on the opposite side of the center sill from the cylinder, not the AB valve.

Third, the bolsters do not look the UTLX Type X version.  The look more like GATX’s.

FWIW

Steve Hile

[...]

Note the shape of the bolsters and saddles on this GATX car

Steve Hile

[...]

The January 1954 ORER has this:

WCHX    4074-4102     ARAIII   4500 gal.

So, good eye Steve!

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Barry Bennett

I have a clearer copy of this slide and the number is WCHX 4095.

Barry Bennett
North Hykeham, England.