Topics

Wedge Plow Blades

Nelson Moyer

The CB&Q used gondola wedge push plows in the early years, but in 1948, they scrapped the gondolas, salvaged the wedge blades, and mounted them on FM-11 and FM-11A flat cars. I’d like to model one of these wedge plows, but I can’t fine scale drawings of the blade. I checked Shapeways, and none of the blades I found match the Q wedge type. It seems like the wedge plow blade would be a natural for 3D printing for someone with CAD skills. Has anyone done a blade drawings suitable for 3D printing? Alternatively, has anyone published an article on construction the blade, including patterns for cutting the blade parts? I have the MR Jan 1957 article, but the blade doesn’t look quite right for the CB&Q. I have several photos of the Q wedge plows to work from, but I don’t do CAD.

The Q had over 100 of these cars, and they were distributed at division points, sub-division points, and other yards across the system. Other roads like the GN used them, so there should be a market for a 3D printed version in HO scale.

Nelson Moyer

mark_landgraf

DeGolyer library at SMU, has the freight car drawings for all of the predecessor rr's of BN. They also have the Q locomotive steam drawings collection.

Last I knew, none of this is cataloged, and they may even deny having these collections. Good luck.

Do the Q's plows look like anybody else's?

Great Lakes society has a good collection of drawings of a variety of central states rr's.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM, Nelson Moyer
<npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

GN had identical blades as far as I can determine. Maybe the GN faithful will confirm that assertion?

Nelson Moyer

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

I was hoping somebody would say Milwaukee or Rock Island or MoPac or CNW.

Mark

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

After looking thru a bunch of freight guides, Milw had some very similar plows. These appear to have about a 6-7 foot front radius and about a 2-3 foot radius at the exit. Milw drawings are available at the Milw Public Library.

The Russell wedge plows seem to be using the same math as above, but it is certainly mounted differently.

If i had to make one of these, I would start with piece of doweling placed in the lathe and cut to the correct dimensions and rate of taper. Sand it smooth and coat it with graphite. Then using 10-20 thou styrene and a heat gun I'd get the basic curved shape. Make two pieces. You'll need to cut the mating line on a compound miter. I figure I'd need to make 3-4 attempts before before I'd get the correct relationship. Then trim up the edges. Good luck.

Mark

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Getting the compound parabolic curve right would be a challenge. Much easier for a person skilled with SketchUp to import photos and create a drawing suitable for 3D printing. The blades were mounted differently between roads and for gondolas vs. flat cars, but a standard blade should work for several roads. Hopefully, someone will be intrigued enough to investigate the possibilities for 3D printing. I’d be happy to share my photos of the CB&Q version.

Nelson Moyer

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

StephenK

You may want to take a look at the old Rivarossi snow plow/gondola.   They are available on ebay (  https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-Rivarossi-Erie-077-Snow-Plow-Kadees-Sprung-trucks/333403583761?hash=item4da066f511:g:J8AAAOSwa-hd0sOU  )   and often for not much money.

Steve Kay

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, but the blade would take a lot of surgery, and after that, the compound curves still wouldn’t look quite right.

Nelson Moyer