Topics

Wedge Plow Blades

Nelson Moyer

The CB&Q used gondola wedge push plows in the early years, but in 1948, they scrapped the gondolas, salvaged the wedge blades, and mounted them on FM-11 and FM-11A flat cars. I’d like to model one of these wedge plows, but I can’t fine scale drawings of the blade. I checked Shapeways, and none of the blades I found match the Q wedge type. It seems like the wedge plow blade would be a natural for 3D printing for someone with CAD skills. Has anyone done a blade drawings suitable for 3D printing? Alternatively, has anyone published an article on construction the blade, including patterns for cutting the blade parts? I have the MR Jan 1957 article, but the blade doesn’t look quite right for the CB&Q. I have several photos of the Q wedge plows to work from, but I don’t do CAD.

The Q had over 100 of these cars, and they were distributed at division points, sub-division points, and other yards across the system. Other roads like the GN used them, so there should be a market for a 3D printed version in HO scale.

Nelson Moyer

mark_landgraf

DeGolyer library at SMU, has the freight car drawings for all of the predecessor rr's of BN. They also have the Q locomotive steam drawings collection. 

Last I knew, none of this is cataloged, and they may even deny having these collections. Good luck. 

Do the Q's plows look like anybody else's?

Great Lakes society has a good collection of drawings of a variety of central states rr's. 

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM, Nelson Moyer
<npmoyer@...> wrote:

The CB&Q used gondola wedge push plows in the early years, but in 1948, they scrapped the gondolas, salvaged the wedge blades, and mounted them on FM-11 and FM-11A flat cars. I’d like to model one of these wedge plows, but I can’t fine scale drawings of the blade. I checked Shapeways, and none of the blades I found match the Q wedge type. It seems like the wedge plow blade would be a natural for 3D printing for someone with CAD skills. Has anyone done a blade drawings suitable for 3D printing? Alternatively, has anyone published an article on construction the blade, including patterns for cutting the blade parts? I have the MR Jan 1957 article, but the blade doesn’t look quite right for the CB&Q. I have several photos of the Q wedge plows to work from, but I don’t do CAD.

The Q had over 100 of these cars, and they were distributed at division points, sub-division points, and other yards across the system. Other roads like the GN used them, so there should be a market for a 3D printed version in HO scale.

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

GN had identical blades as far as I can determine. Maybe the GN faithful will confirm that assertion?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mark_landgraf via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 9:31 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wedge Plow Blades

DeGolyer library at SMU, has the freight car drawings for all of the predecessor rr's of BN. They also have the Q locomotive steam drawings collection. 

Last I knew, none of this is cataloged, and they may even deny having these collections. Good luck. 

Great Lakes society has a good collection of drawings of a variety of central states rr's. 

Mark Landgraf

Albany NY

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

mark_landgraf

I was hoping somebody would say Milwaukee or Rock Island or MoPac or CNW. 

Mark

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:44 PM, Nelson Moyer
<npmoyer@...> wrote:

GN had identical blades as far as I can determine. Maybe the GN faithful will confirm that assertion?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mark_landgraf via Groups.Io

Mark Landgraf

Albany NY

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

mark_landgraf

After looking thru a bunch of freight guides, Milw had some very similar plows. These appear to have about a 6-7 foot front radius and about a 2-3 foot radius at the exit. Milw drawings are available at the Milw Public Library. 

The Russell wedge plows seem to be using the same math as above, but it is certainly mounted differently. 

If i had to make one of these, I would start with piece of doweling placed in the lathe and cut to the correct dimensions and rate of taper. Sand it smooth and coat it with graphite. Then using 10-20 thou styrene and a heat gun I'd get the basic curved shape. Make two pieces. You'll need to cut the mating line on a compound miter. I figure I'd need to make 3-4 attempts before before I'd get the correct relationship. Then trim up the edges. Good luck. 

Mark

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:59 PM, mark_landgraf via Groups.Io
<mark_landgraf@...> wrote:

Mark

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Mark Landgraf

Albany NY

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Getting the compound parabolic curve right would be a challenge. Much easier for a person skilled with SketchUp to import photos and create a drawing suitable for 3D printing. The blades were mounted differently between roads and for gondolas vs. flat cars, but a standard blade should work for several roads. Hopefully, someone will be intrigued enough to investigate the possibilities for 3D printing. I’d be happy to share my photos of the CB&Q version.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 11:27 PM

After looking thru a bunch of freight guides, Milw had some very similar plows. These appear to have about a 6-7 foot front radius and about a 2-3 foot radius at the exit. Milw drawings are available at the Milw Public Library. 

The Russell wedge plows seem to be using the same math as above, but it is certainly mounted differently. 

If i had to make one of these, I would start with piece of doweling placed in the lathe and cut to the correct dimensions and rate of taper. Sand it smooth and coat it with graphite. Then using 10-20 thou styrene and a heat gun I'd get the basic curved shape. Make two pieces. You'll need to cut the mating line on a compound miter. I figure I'd need to make 3-4 attempts before before I'd get the correct relationship. Then trim up the edges. Good luck. 

Mark

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:59 PM, mark_landgraf via Groups.Io

Mark

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Mark Landgraf

Albany NY

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

StephenK

You may want to take a look at the old Rivarossi snow plow/gondola.   They are available on ebay (  https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-Rivarossi-Erie-077-Snow-Plow-Kadees-Sprung-trucks/333403583761?hash=item4da066f511:g:J8AAAOSwa-hd0sOU  )   and often for not much money.

Steve Kay

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, but the blade would take a lot of surgery, and after that, the compound curves still wouldn’t look quite right.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of StephenK
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:12 AM

You may want to take a look at the old Rivarossi snow plow/gondola.   They are available on ebay (  https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-Rivarossi-Erie-077-Snow-Plow-Kadees-Sprung-trucks/333403583761?hash=item4da066f511:g:J8AAAOSwa-hd0sOU  )   and often for not much money.

Steve Kay

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Nelson,

You mean you're not happy with the AHM version of a gondola mounted wedge plow?  lol
I thought they might have copied the CB&Q one for it.

My best, Don Valentine -  in a territory that only saw Russell or CPR plows.

Nelson Moyer

Not even close.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:35 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Hi Nelson,

You mean you're not happy with the AHM version of a gondola mounted wedge plow?  lol

I thought they might have copied the CB&Q one for it.

My best, Don Valentine -  in a territory that only saw Russell or CPR plows.

Tom Madden

Edited

I this what you're after, Nelson? It's not petite! It's at the Colorado RR Museum and I took a break from scanning photos this afternoon & went outside and took some photos. Interesting arrangement for raising & lowering the blade. 

Tom Madden

Charlie Vlk

Tom-I have an N Scale Shapeways blade for the CB&Q car and would appreciate the photos as well!!
Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

On Nov 20, 2019, at 8:14 PM, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I this what you're after, Nelson? It's not petite! It's at the Colorado RR Museum and I took a break from scanning photos this afternoon & went outside and took some photos. Interesting arrangement for raising & lowering the blade. 

Tom Madden

Charlie Vlk

Stupid iPad!!
Sent previous message and THEN the photos appeared!
Thanks!
Charlie Vlk

On Nov 20, 2019, at 8:16 PM, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

Tom Madden
<Plow1.jpg>
<Plow2.jpg>
<Plow3.jpg>

Nelson Moyer

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m looking to model. Thanks for the photos. The flat car is either a FM-11 or FM-11A. The difference is that they were separate order numberx, so once they are renumbered for MOW service, there’s no way to tell which class they came from in a photo. The early conversions had a wood ‘box’ to hold the rock ballast, while later builds had steel plates for the box sides. I’d like to model the wood ballast box version as shown in your photos. Maybe your photos will inspire someone to do the CAD drawing of the blade for 3D printing.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Madden via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:13 PM

Tom Madden

Nelson Moyer

Charlie, if Shapeways has the N scale drawings, couldn’t they scale the blade for HO?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:31 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Tom-I have an N Scale Shapeways blade for the CB&Q car and would appreciate the photos as well!!

Thanks,

Charlie Vlk

[Edited Message Follows]

Tom Madden

steve_wintner

Nelson, if I understand, no, Shapeways cannot / will not. All Shapeways is doing is providing the service of printing  items designed by others, via a portal.

Whoever made the blade CAD could scale it, and I imagine you can contact them through Shapeways' site and ask.

Steve

Richard Townsend

Maybe whoever did the N scale blade would scale it up.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

[Edited Message Follows]

Tom Madden