Westerfield ATSF BX-12 Rebuilt boxcar

Charlie Duckworth

Here’s another survivor of 20+ years of op sessions.  Added missing brake wheel and rod coming off the chain and missing lower hand grabs on the ends.  While I had it on the bench I added reweigh patches and stencils from Smokebox Graphics and a light dusting of white oil paint to denote a few broken flour bags.  Also added HiTech air hoses as cars hit the bench.  Black pin washed in a few spots above the bolsters and on the springs.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

O Fenton Wells

Very nice Charlie, good weathering, good finish
Fenton

On May 25, 2022, at 6:28 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Here’s another survivor of 20+ years of op sessions.  Added missing brake wheel and rod coming off the chain and missing lower hand grabs on the ends.  While I had it on the bench I added reweigh patches and stencils from Smokebox Graphics and a light dusting of white oil paint to denote a few broken flour bags.  Also added HiTech air hoses as cars hit the bench.  Black pin washed in a few spots above the bolsters and on the springs.

EC22F687-BC14-4113-9260-C328AE152F2C.jpegB4D492AC-8EAF-4E69-BC8E-FB2F31D6DF5A.jpeg

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Scott

Does anybody make repack stencils in HO?  Probably have to be railroad specific.

Scott McDonald

Paul Doggett

Charlie

It’s a nice looking model.
Paul Doggett

On 25 May 2022, at 23:28, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Here’s another survivor of 20+ years of op sessions.  Added missing brake wheel and rod coming off the chain and missing lower hand grabs on the ends.  While I had it on the bench I added reweigh patches and stencils from Smokebox Graphics and a light dusting of white oil paint to denote a few broken flour bags.  Also added HiTech air hoses as cars hit the bench.  Black pin washed in a few spots above the bolsters and on the springs.

EC22F687-BC14-4113-9260-C328AE152F2C.jpegB4D492AC-8EAF-4E69-BC8E-FB2F31D6DF5A.jpeg

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Jim Betz

Charlie,

  Nice work!  As always.

  Anyone adding paint to their Hi-Tech air hoses?  What paint (brand) are you using?
I'd prefer mine to look like they've been on the road for a couple of years (at least) but
haven't experimented with paint on them.  What sticks.  I'd be using a wash over the
whole hose and then some touches of solid color to the metal parts.

                                                - Jim in the PNW

Charlie Duckworth

Smokebox Graphics has repack stencils on their reweigh sheet.

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 10:46 PM Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:
Does anybody make repack stencils in HO?  Probably have to be railroad specific.

Scott McDonald

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

I installed Hi-Tech airhoses on several model recently. After installation, I use Vallejo acrylics to touch up. A light grey is applied to the metal parts of th ecasting with dark rubber applied to the hose portion. After the paint dries, I give it a burnt umber wash. Here are a pair of HO scale Speedwitch Media Pere Marquette automobile box cars with the Hi-Tech details in stalled and touched up. I used the Kadee airhose bracket as the support. The parts are similar to the hardware I see on USRA cars and other early 1920s freight cars. Alas, I had not yet touched up those parts in this image. They should be the same color as the cars.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 05/26/2022 5:17 AM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

Charlie,

  Nice work!  As always.

  Anyone adding paint to their Hi-Tech air hoses?  What paint (brand) are you using?
I'd prefer mine to look like they've been on the road for a couple of years (at least) but
haven't experimented with paint on them.  What sticks.  I'd be using a wash over the
whole hose and then some touches of solid color to the metal parts.

                                                - Jim in the PNW

Eric Hansmann

I save the remaining decal sets after using the main elements on a freight car kit. The Westerfield Models sets usually have several reweigh and repack stencils on each sheet. I also have a stash of Champ repack decals. The lettering is so small that I don't worry much about finding one to fit my 1926 time frame. Heck, I can't read most of them on the decal sheet as it is. I focus more on a proper date for the reweigh.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 05/26/2022 5:18 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Smokebox Graphics has repack stencils on their reweigh sheet.

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 10:46 PM Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:
Does anybody make repack stencils in HO?  Probably have to be railroad specific.

Scott McDonald

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Nelson Moyer

On some cars, I install the air hoses before priming and painting, then paint the hose with one of the Floquil blacks and  gladhand Floquil Old Silver. For other cars, I add the air hoses after painting and paint the stopcock freight car red for whatever color I used on the car, then galvanize the gladhand. I haven’t run the painted hoses enough to know if the paint is durable.

Nelson Moyer

  Anyone adding paint to their Hi-Tech air hoses?  What paint (brand) are you using?
I'd prefer mine to look like they've been on the road for a couple of years (at least) but
haven't experimented with paint on them.  What sticks.  I'd be using a wash over the
whole hose and then some touches of solid color to the metal parts.

                                                - Jim in the PNW

Jim Betz

Eric,

  Thanks.  What you are telling me is that acrylics will stick to the HiTech hoses.

  I like this car.  Thanks for posting it.
                                                                     - Jim in the PNW

Jim Betz

Nelson/all,

  I'm under the impression that "silver glad hands" are a relatively late change and
that for much (most?) of the steam freight car era they were metal (rusty).  Am I
wrong on that?  Does it depend upon the RR?
                                                                                  - Jim in the PNW

Todd Sullivan

My recollections from working around freight cars in the 1960s is that clad hands were made of bronze or a similar metal, and were not bright silver, but a bronze color.

I could be wrong ... does anyone have a catalogue that includes air hoses and related equipment?  Maybe it would show what the glad hands are made of.

Todd Sullivan

Nelson Moyer

No, you’re not entirely wrong. As I understand it, gladhands were galvanized when new but due to their location took a beating and rusted. The ends had to be kept clean for airtight fit. Floquil Old Silver is the closest to galvanized I have in Floquil paint, and I use lacquer paint for durability on air hoses. The new galvanized look is toned down during weathering. Old Silver isn’t a bright shiny silver, more of a tarnished silver if you’re ever seen really old silverware that hasn’t been polished in fifty years. I hated to see it go away.

Nelson Moyer

  I'm under the impression that "silver glad hands" are a relatively late change and
that for much (most?) of the steam freight car era they were metal (rusty).  Am I
wrong on that?  Does it depend upon the RR?
                                                                                  - Jim in the PNW

Todd Sullivan

Nelson,

Thanks for the correction and very useful additional information!

I will look for a paint color similar to Floquil's 'Old Silver'.  I don't believe I have any in my stock of old and older paints.

Todd.

Eric Hansmann

That has been my experience, Jim.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 05/26/2022 8:37 AM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

Eric,

  Thanks.  What you are telling me is that acrylics will stick to the HiTech hoses.

  I like this car.  Thanks for posting it.
                                                                     - Jim in the PNW

Nelson Moyer

Tru Color has several metalics, and I think the closest to Old Silver is Dark Aluminum. I haven’t tried Tru Color on gladhands, but since it’s lacquer, it should work.

Nelson Moyer

Thanks for the correction and very useful additional information!

I will look for a paint color similar to Floquil's 'Old Silver'.  I don't believe I have any in my stock of old and older paints.

Todd.

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 08:12 AM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

No, you’re not entirely wrong. As I understand it, gladhands were galvanized when new but due to their location took a beating and rusted. The ends had to be kept clean for airtight fit. Floquil Old Silver is the closest to galvanized I have in Floquil paint, and I use lacquer paint for durability on air hoses. The new galvanized look is toned down during weathering. Old Silver isn’t a bright shiny silver, more of a tarnished silver if you’re ever seen really old silverware that hasn’t been polished in fifty years. I hated to see it go away.

Gladhands were cast iron, could be galvanized but eventually lost the shine. The entire sealing surface was a rubber gasket with a C shaped cross section that was folded into the opening in the gladhand. Since the air hoses were always coupled in a train, the seal surfaces stayed clean. All air hoses had a rubber label bonded to the gladhand end with the date of manufacture. During the steam era these labels were typically red rubber; about FCR color, but they were small. What's different today is the hoses have to be replaced on a regular schedule, every time the car is due for COTS, IIRC, so the gladhands are always close to new. In the steam era the hoses stayed on the car a lot longer.

Dennis Storzek

Chet

I was going to mention the rubber label with the date of manufacture, but Dennis beat me to it.  I started a 41 plus years in train service  in 1960 and the labels
were on almost all air hoses.  They seem to start disappearing in the mid 1960's.  They were about an inch wide and three inches long, red was the only color I recall.
The only time I recall seeing glad hands that looks silver was when they were on new cars or had replaced an old hose.  They were weathered a very dirty color.
The angle cocks were a gray color if unpainted, although many were painted the same color as the car they were on.  Most air hoses had hose clamps at each end
to hold the glad hands and the threaded casting that screwed into the angle cock.  They were often a stainless metal color.

A  DRGW flatcar has a new hose showing the color of the glad hand when new.
The PFE reefer and GN boxcar shows the red label well and weathered glad hands.

Chet French
Dixon IL