Topics

Westerfield NB box car

Clark Propst

I won a Westerfield NB box car as a door prize at CCB. Started on the kit this morning. Beautiful one piece body model BTW. Chances of seeing one of these cars around here are slim to none.There's plenty of info on NYC cars in the history sheets supplied. Don't know just how close this model is to them, but I'm guess it's the same.  I model 48-50 so I'm guessing  the NYC roofs were replaced? The Hannibal Connecting had the same cars as the NB. 'Might' be a better chance of seeing one of those here? Can I do a NYC car with a flat panel roof and three panel door?
Thanks,
CW Propst

Gary Roe

Clark,

If you saw a Hannibal Connecting car on your branch line, it would most likely be loaded with bagged cement.

gary roe
quincy, illinois
(just 20 miles north of Hannibal)

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 1:37:06 PM CDT, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I won a Westerfield NB box car as a door prize at CCB. Started on the kit this morning. Beautiful one piece body model BTW. Chances of seeing one of these cars around here are slim to none.There's plenty of info on NYC cars in the history sheets supplied. Don't know just how close this model is to them, but I'm guess it's the same.  I model 48-50 so I'm guessing  the NYC roofs were replaced? The Hannibal Connecting had the same cars as the NB. 'Might' be a better chance of seeing one of those here? Can I do a NYC car with a flat panel roof and three panel door?
Thanks,
CW Propst

Bill Welch

Based on interpreting the photos I have examined, I do not think the HB or HC cars received new roofs.

Bill Welch

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Clark,

Both the HC and the N&B were chiefly cement carriers, so having their cars on your Iowa railroad would be like sending the proverbial "coals to Newcastle". I won't say it couldn't happen, but it would be a very rare event.

In my 1958 ORER, both lines have the same senior officers, and their business address was 1517 Frick Bldg., Pittsburg, PA. This perhaps accounts for having nearly identical boxcars.

Although it says nothing about the railroads, here is a Wikipedia page on the Frick Bldg. with some interesting bits of history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_Building .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 2:37 PM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
I won a Westerfield NB box car as a door prize at CCB. Started on the kit this morning. Beautiful one piece body model BTW. Chances of seeing one of these cars around here are slim to none.There's plenty of info on NYC cars in the history sheets supplied. Don't know just how close this model is to them, but I'm guess it's the same.  I model 48-50 so I'm guessing  the NYC roofs were replaced? The Hannibal Connecting had the same cars as the NB. 'Might' be a better chance of seeing one of those here? Can I do a NYC car with a flat panel roof and three panel door?
Thanks,
CW Propst

Rob M.

Clark,

To turn the car into the standard NYC car you’d need to replace the N&B’s 3-panel door with the reinforcement plate with the standard NYC three panel door or an appropriate NYC Youngstown replacement door.  The only other modifications N&B made to the standard NYC cars were a protective plate over the pipe bracket which would be as simple as finding a standard AB pipe bracket replacement.

The N&B had few online industries other than Atlas Cement so seeing the car out your way would be almost as rare as us seeing a Mason City and Clear Lake car in Northampton PA.   :-)  (Other than during WWII when N&B cars were free roaming)

Rob Mondichak

Todd Sullivan

Clark,

I must have 5-6 of the Westerfield NYC kits in my stash.  If you want a 'corrugated' door, contact me off list at sullivant41 ATT yahoo DOT com.

Todd Sullivan

Clark Propst

With two cement plants within 30 miles and two more twice that distance, a lumber yard on the branch would have to get a great deal on that product  ;  ))
CW Propst

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 11:54 AM, Gary Roe wrote:
If you saw a Hannibal Connecting car on your branch line, it would most likely be loaded with bagged cement.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Clark Propst

Rob and Todd, the kit came with several doors including a corrugated one. I have some Speedwitch NYC decal leftovers I think I can patch something together. I have RP Cyc 21 out. I'll built it as an NYC car tomorrow. Thanks all!
CW Propst

Barry Bennett

If you have access to the Vancouver Archive photos you will note that both the NB and the HC reached that city, so not so unlikely to appear in Propst country as presumed.

Barry Bennett, UK.

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 03:14, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
Rob and Todd, the kit came with several doors including a corrugated one. I have some Speedwitch NYC decal leftovers I think I can patch something together. I have RP Cyc 21 out. I'll built it as an NYC car tomorrow. Thanks all!
CW Propst

Mont Switzer

Clark and all,

Agreed.  Cement just didn’t get shipped long distances so the cars that hauled it tended to stay close.  Due to lots of cement dust it also became pretty obvious what service they were in.

As ready-mix plants popped up all over the country after WWII at least one cement maker shipped it in bulk (covered hoppers) to a central point where it was unloaded into silos and then into trucks for delivery to final destination as needed.  Mitchell, Indiana, and Anderson, IN are about 120 miles apart.

Some ready-mix concrete plants were large enough to be served directly by rail, but most small plants got it by truck.  This was very seasonal commodity, also.

Pneumatic trailers (“air cans”) made final delivery of cement delivery by truck practical.  Those trailers looked like the covered hoppers hauling cement.

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:20 AM, Barry Bennett wrote:
If you have access to the Vancouver Archive photos you will note that both the NB and the HC reached that city, so not so unlikely to appear in Propst country as presumed.
Barry Bennett, UK.
Thanks Barry. Just looked at them. Great photos! I like the door and pulling loops so might just build the car as is? Need to check my NYC info first tho...
CW Propst

Barry Bennett

The door, pulling loops and the roof and running board may need to be changed as most of the NYC cars had been re-roofed with either straight or diagonal panels and all(ish) some iteration of patch panels by the early/mid 50's. You also need to consider the layout of the brake components and remove the plate protecting the 'triple' valve. If you want NYC it may be easier to buy a Westerfield kit and replace the roof, which is what I will do with mine ......eventually, sometime, maybe.

The Canada Southern site has some good info IIRC.

I caused a bit of a flame war when the Broadway NYC cars were being viewed pre-release as they were post war rebuilds with late 50's paint schemes. I commented that they were borderline foobies as they were rot boxes but had no patch panels. BLI were not very complimentary to me. Then I fanned the flames further by noting that not all patch panels were the same, some rivetted, some welded, some tucked under at the top, some overlaid and that it varied with RR, and probably with repair shop, even the whim of the work force.

That got hot enough to roast a chicken. I just laughed myself silly at them, but did glean some good info. I'd just completed a couple of Ted's kits for the LNE and MEC which had different patch methods so patches were very much in my mind.

I've attached a couple of NYC photos for comparison. I also have a lot of NB car photos as I had a friend who was going to model NB but changed his mind.

Barry

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 14:38, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:20 AM, Barry Bennett wrote:
If you have access to the Vancouver Archive photos you will note that both the NB and the HC reached that city, so not so unlikely to appear in Propst country as presumed.
Barry Bennett, UK.
Thanks Barry. Just looked at them. Great photos! I like the door and pulling loops so might just build the car as is? Need to check my NYC info first tho...
CW Propst

Rob M.

Barry,

We quarter inch scale modelers are blessed by a complete series of the different variants of NYC and clone cars in brass thanks to the late Pat O’Boyle and Pacific Limited.  They include the NYC cars of all years and configurations as well as the HCRR and N&B clones.

Due to the sheer numbers it’s seemingly as necessary to have the NYC and subsidiary roads variants as it is the vaunted X29.  They were everywhere.

Rob Mondichak

Clark Propst

Barry Bennett
Mar 23
The door, pulling loops and the roof and running board may need to be changed as most of the NYC cars had been re-roofed with either straight or diagonal panels and all(ish) some iteration of patch panels by the early/mid 50's. You also need to consider the layout of the brake components and remove the plate protecting the 'triple' valve. If you want NYC it may be easier to buy a Westerfield kit and replace the roof, which is what I will do with mine ......eventually, sometime, maybe.

The last three words are unacceptable...Built them!  ;  )) Many of us have nothing better to do anyway....
I struggled with this, it's like a old auto. Do you restore it as was, or do you modify it? I'm more in the restore camp. It came down to resale value. I believe the NYC version would be more desirable. So I built it as NYC, one side is decaled as I write. I understand that the roofs were replaced, but this model in one piece and very, very well done. I model 1948-50 so hopefully not all were replaced by then?
CW Propst

Todd Sullivan

Hi Clark,

I think you are right about the roofs not all being replaced.  I've attached (I hope) a photo from somewhere online that is of the NYC / B&A yard in Boston with lots of NYC boxcars, including both kinds made by Westerfield.  There are a variety of roofs, including the original.  I believe the photo dates to the early or mid-1950s.

Todd Sullivan

Brian Carlson

I have the same photo but it’s labeled Gardenville (Buffalo) yard 1953.

Brian J. Carlson

On Mar 24, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Hi Clark,

I think you are right about the roofs not all being replaced.  I've attached (I hope) a photo from somewhere online that is of the NYC / B&A yard in Boston with lots of NYC boxcars, including both kinds made by Westerfield.  There are a variety of roofs, including the original.  I believe the photo dates to the early or mid-1950s.

Todd Sullivan
<NYC Yard Boston lots of boxcars.jpg>

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Todd and Clark,

In the distance is what appears to be an L&N PS-1 boxcar, probably 5141. These were delivered in March 1952. Hope this helps.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:24 PM Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Clark,

I think you are right about the roofs not all being replaced.  I've attached (I hope) a photo from somewhere online that is of the NYC / B&A yard in Boston with lots of NYC boxcars, including both kinds made by Westerfield.  There are a variety of roofs, including the original.  I believe the photo dates to the early or mid-1950s.

Todd Sullivan

Attachments:

Todd Sullivan

Brian,

Thanks, I'm sure you are correct.  I'll change the note on my e-copy to reflect that.  I never thought it looked like Boston.

Todd Sullivan

Benjamin Hom

Todd Sullivan wrote:
"Thanks, I'm sure you are correct.  I'll change the note on my e-copy to reflect that.  I never thought it looked like Boston."

Captioned as Buffalo here:

Ben Hom

Todd Sullivan

Thanks, Ben.  Duly noted!