Topics

Westerfield NB box car

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Attachments:
View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
1d 
Re: Westerfield NB box car
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:53:25 PDT

I have the same photo but it’s labeled Gardenville (Buffalo) yard 1953. 

Brian J. Carlson
That sounds a lot more like it Brian. The B&A's Beacon Park Yard never looked like the photo
in my lifetime and I'm a war baby.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Clark Propst

Models finished.
CW Propst

WILLIAM PARDIE

Great job Clark.  I hope mine looks half that good when finished.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/24/20 12:10 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Westerfield NB box car

Models finished.
CW Propst

Eric Hansmann

Nice work, Clark. I need to build several of these in my stash. At one time there were more than 30,000 of these cars (and variants) in-service for a few decades.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 5:11 PM

Models finished.
CW Propst

Tim O'Connor

Some NB cars lasted to the 1970's and in THOSE days they could appear just
about anywhere. I have pictures from way out west. Here's the only HC photo
that I've seen.

On 3/22/2020 4:28 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Clark,

Both the HC and the N&B were chiefly cement carriers, so having their cars on your Iowa railroad would be like sending the proverbial "coals to Newcastle". I won't say it couldn't happen, but it would be a very rare event.

In my 1958 ORER, both lines have the same senior officers, and their business address was 1517 Frick Bldg., Pittsburg, PA. This perhaps accounts for having nearly identical boxcars.

Although it says nothing about the railroads, here is a Wikipedia page on the Frick Bldg. with some interesting bits of history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_Building .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 2:37 PM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
I won a Westerfield NB box car as a door prize at CCB. Started on the kit this morning. Beautiful one piece body model BTW. Chances of seeing one of these cars around here are slim to none.There's plenty of info on NYC cars in the history sheets supplied. Don't know just how close this model is to them, but I'm guess it's the same.  I model 48-50 so I'm guessing  the NYC roofs were replaced? The Hannibal Connecting had the same cars as the NB. 'Might' be a better chance of seeing one of those here? Can I do a NYC car with a flat panel roof and three panel door?
Thanks, 
CW Propst

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

So Tim, the date on the HC car in photo you attached is 8-49.  Is that the date that the HC would have acquired these cars?

Excellent photo, BTW.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 12:15 PM

Some NB cars lasted to the 1970's and in THOSE days they could appear just
about anywhere. I have pictures from way out west. Here's the only HC photo
that I've seen.

On 3/22/2020 4:28 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:

Clark,

Both the HC and the N&B were chiefly cement carriers, so having their cars on your Iowa railroad would be like sending the proverbial "coals to Newcastle". I won't say it couldn't happen, but it would be a very rare event.

In my 1958 ORER, both lines have the same senior officers, and their business address was 1517 Frick Bldg., Pittsburg, PA. This perhaps accounts for having nearly identical boxcars.

Although it says nothing about the railroads, here is a Wikipedia page on the Frick Bldg. with some interesting bits of history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_Building .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  
🦆

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 2:37 PM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I won a Westerfield NB box car as a door prize at CCB. Started on the kit this morning. Beautiful one piece body model BTW. Chances of seeing one of these cars around here are slim to none.There's plenty of info on NYC cars in the history sheets supplied. Don't know just how close this model is to them, but I'm guess it's the same.  I model 48-50 so I'm guessing  the NYC roofs were replaced? The Hannibal Connecting had the same cars as the NB. 'Might' be a better chance of seeing one of those here? Can I do a NYC car with a flat panel roof and three panel door?
Thanks, 
CW Propst

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"...the date on the HC car in photo you attached is 8-49.  Is that the date that the HC would have acquired these cars?" 

No.  Universal Cement sold the cars to NB and HC in 1935-36.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Thank you Ben!

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:44 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"...the date on the HC car in photo you attached is 8-49.  Is that the date that the HC would have acquired these cars?" 

No.  Universal Cement sold the cars to NB and HC in 1935-36.

Ben Hom

Ken

Hello, Clark and STMFC group!

Here is my Westerfield NB boxcar built some years ago.
There is a great article on these cars and other USRA derivative steel boxcars by Eric Neubauer in the January 1995 RMC.
Ken Gross

mel perry

out of curiousity, is this car a derivative
of the X29?
thanks
sent from solitary
:-)
mel perry

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 11:37 AM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
Thanks, 
CW Propst

Ken

Mel,
Six side posts per side instead of eight on X-29.

Ken Gross

Bruce Smith

Mel,

No. It proceeded the X29. These, as discussed earlier in this thread, are the NYC "USRA" steel boxcars. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 4:34 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

of the X29?
thanks
sent from solitary
mel perry

Thanks, 
CW Propst

mel perry

thank you all very much
sent from solitary
mel perry

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 3:04 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Mel,

No. It proceeded the X29. These, as discussed earlier in this thread, are the NYC "USRA" steel boxcars. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 4:34 PM

of the X29?
thanks
sent from solitary
mel perry

Thanks, 
CW Propst

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Yes, a nice car, but since you have stated USRA NYC steel cars, Bruce, I'll bite. Just how close
are those cars to the NYC steel cars that Broadway Limied di a run off? Can't believe they haven't
done another run of those cars inspite of soe nit-picking be a few. I gae them three additional numbers
for Boston & Albany cars that were nown t have lasted into the 1960's so they could offer four different
numbers and Bob Grubba has never responded. Also provised details that coiud be easiy changed to 
get a DL&W car out of it as well. I know they took heat over the solid box of four, as the should have,
instead of four individual cars bundled as a four pack a dealer could break down but that's not a vaild
reason not to produce another run. Wonder if the N&B car might come out of this as well with a new 
door style.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bruce Smith

Don,

I'm no expert on these cars, but the BLI cars has been discussed here extensively, and so its features are well described. They boil down to WWII/post WWII modernized cars. I'm not sure what the details on the NB cars are, but I think that they've been mentioned in this thread. I haven't paid attention to these specific cars as the NYC fleet is really the one of impact, with around 30,000 cars, similar to the PRR 29,000 X29s.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 7:32 PM

Yes, a nice car, but since you have stated USRA NYC steel cars, Bruce, I'll bite. Just how close
are those cars to the NYC steel cars that Broadway Limied di a run off? Can't believe they haven't
done another run of those cars inspite of soe nit-picking be a few. I gae them three additional numbers
for Boston & Albany cars that were nown t have lasted into the 1960's so they could offer four different
numbers and Bob Grubba has never responded. Also provised details that coiud be easiy changed to 
get a DL&W car out of it as well. I know they took heat over the solid box of four, as the should have,
instead of four individual cars bundled as a four pack a dealer could break down but that's not a vaild
reason not to produce another run. Wonder if the N&B car might come out of this as well with a new 
door style.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Clark Propst

Donald B. Valentine
5:32pm   
are those cars to the NYC steel cars that Broadway Limied di a run off? 

I'm no expert, but I think the main difference in the roof. Many if not all the NYC cars received rectangular or diagonal panel roofs. Diagonal being the last type applied. The Westerfield NB kit I have came with doors for NB, HC and NYC. The differences seem to be, besides doors. the brake component arrangement and different car puller connections. The body came with a loop style attached to the side side (molded on). To change to a NB or HC car these would need to be shaved off and replaced with some made from flat iron with a rectangular slot. These were welded to the car side. This was done as built or by Universal Cement the original owners.
That's all I got...
CW Propst