Westmoreland Coal twin hopper - PRR GLa clones

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Westmoreland Coal twin hopper - PRR GLa clones in 1926

We see WCCo 1426, 2750, 917, and more

In addition, we get this great broadside view of WCCo 1431 in 1927 (built 1906, archbar trucks)

And lastly, a great builders photo of WCCo 651 (note this car was built considerably later in 1922. Trucks? Maybe Andrews 50-ton or PRR design Crown 50-ton? Also note the underlined Westmoreland Coal Co paint scheme)

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

robert netzlof

Somebody raised the question "What color was the triangle?" here the other day. Looking at this picture, the triangle doesn't appear to be black, but doesn't appear to be the same color as the car body either. Perhaps red is the answer.

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Eric Hansmann

Those are nice finds, Claus!

The line of Westmoreland Coal hoppers at the Magee mine is fabulous. Sadly, the raised rail line beside the cars hides the weigh date stencils so we can’t make a better guess on the date.

1431 has a 1926 weigh date stencil.  Steel cars at that time were on a 36 month weigh cycle.

The image of 651 is the 1922 builder photo.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

https://digital.hagley.org/1993233_G1_Album_P49_002

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob,

Perhaps red it is - see link below...

Various manufacturers went with either a red triangle or a body color triangle - see examples below:

There has also been discussion among historians about black cars vs red cars - many seem to feel both are correct, depending on the era, but no conclusive proof one way or the other that I know of.

Claus Schlund

Somebody raised the question "What color was the triangle?" here the other day. Looking at this picture, the triangle doesn't appear to be black, but doesn't appear to be the same color as the car body either. Perhaps red is the answer.

> https://digital.hagley.org/1993233_G1_Album_P49_002

--
Bob Netzlof a/k/a Sweet Old Bob

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

One additional image,  featuring WCCo 2611 GLa clone nearest to the camera riding on archbar trucks in 1926

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund