Topics

What car is this on the Rio Grande?


Scott
 

The photo below was posted on the Rio Grande Historical Society Facebook page by Parker Wilson from his collection. I am reposting here with his permission.  Does anybody know what the silver car is? It looks like there is a BX-11 or 12 raised roof behind it so it is pretty tall.

Thanks
Scott McDonald 


Benjamin Hom
 

Scott McDonald asked:
"The photo below was posted on the Rio Grande Historical Society Facebook page by Parker Wilson from his collection. I am reposting here with his permission.  Does anybody know what the silver car is? It looks like there is a BX-11 or 12 raised roof behind it so it is pretty tall."


That's not a silver car, but a red car with white staining.  Assuming that the car behind it is a raided roof Bx-12/Bx-13 (10 ft 6 in IH), my guess is it's a 40 ft steel automobile boxcar.


Ben Hom


Brian Carlson
 

Assuming we are talking about the 5th car my first thought was one of the silver PS-1s western RailwAy of Alabama or affiliated lines. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Sep 9, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:


Scott McDonald asked:
"The photo below was posted on the Rio Grande Historical Society Facebook page by Parker Wilson from his collection. I am reposting here with his permission.  Does anybody know what the silver car is? It looks like there is a BX-11 or 12 raised roof behind it so it is pretty tall."

<FB_IMG_1599659297502.jpg>

That's not a silver car, but a red car with white staining.  Assuming that the car behind it is a raided roof Bx-12/Bx-13 (10 ft 6 in IH), my guess is it's a 40 ft steel automobile boxcar.


Ben Hom

<FB_IMG_1599659297502.jpg>


Bruce Smith
 

Folks, Brian,

My first thought was the same. I’m guessing that Ben’s evaluation was based on what appears to be a reddish end, with some variation in the intensity of the lighter side color. However, given the size/resolution of the image, I’m not sure how anyone can tell much of anything. There are limits to even the best of our abilities!  I tried to blow it up and it was too low a resolution to see anything but pixels. I would suggest that Scott find and post a higher resolution image. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn Al

On Sep 9, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Assuming we are talking about the 5th car my first thought was one of the silver PS-1s western RailwAy of Alabama or affiliated lines. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Sep 9, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:


Scott McDonald asked:
"The photo below was posted on the Rio Grande Historical Society Facebook page by Parker Wilson from his collection. I am reposting here with his permission.  Does anybody know what the silver car is? It looks like there is a BX-11 or 12 raised roof behind it so it is pretty tall."

<FB_IMG_1599659297502.jpg>

That's not a silver car, but a red car with white staining.  Assuming that the car behind it is a raided roof Bx-12/Bx-13 (10 ft 6 in IH), my guess is it's a 40 ft steel automobile boxcar.


Ben Hom

<FB_IMG_1599659297502.jpg>


mopacfirst
 

While I concede that the silver-painted 10'-6" car is a possibility, I'm pretty sure I see a double door, so I'd go with dark-colored car with lots of white or light gray material on it.

Ron Merrick


Brian Carlson
 

Until we get a higher resolution image I fear this is going to turn into a yanny vs laurel thread. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Sep 9, 2020, at 12:12 PM, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

While I concede that the silver-painted 10'-6" car is a possibility, I'm pretty sure I see a double door, so I'd go with dark-colored car with lots of white or light gray material on it.

Ron Merrick


Josh
 

I know Parker and saw his scan of the slide. That is a silver painted car, I'm not sure how any of you are seeing red. It's a single door, not double. The D&RGW painted a few dozen (if I remember correctly) Pressed Steel Car Company 40-foot boxcars silver with black lettering for service at the Denver Keebler bakery, which became known as the "Cookie Box" scheme. It may be one of those. There are a few dozen of these cars scattered across the landscape in the San Luis Valley still. A google image search will yield many good photos.


Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Josh and Friends,

D&RGW had 76 such insulated boxcars, 60000-60076. They were drawn from several blocks of Pressed Steel 12-panel 10' 4" IH boxcars which the Rio Grande began buying in the late 1930s. According to Jim Eager's RIO GRANDE COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT, 60000-60036 were rebuilt in 1954-55, 60037-60046 were added in 1959, while 60047-60076 followed in 1961. Cars 60037, 60047, 60052 and 60064 were drawn from the 1946 series of boxcars and had Improved Dreadnaught ends. Based on the steam locomotive in the photo, if this is indeed a "Cookie Box", it had to be from 60000-60036.

Contrary to what Silver Streak would have had us believe, there apparently were no double-sheathed cars with this paint scheme, and none had white sides like their offering. They were all a silver-gray. 

These cars were loaded at the Keebler bakery in Denver, and Jim Eager says they were routed to distribution centers throughout the west (Keebler was not yet a national brand). Indeed, one of the two photos in his book shows a car in Albuquerque. Some commentators have claimed the "Cookie Boxes" only were used between Denver and Salt Lake City, but from Jim's book and the photo in question this is not so. They went all over Keebler's market area, including off the D&RGW.

At least one of these cars was in D&RGW MW service until well past the UP take-over. Attached is one I shot from the window of the California Zephyr in the 1990s at Glenwood Springs. On some of my trips I saw this car at Bond. I was watching for it (camera ready) every year I went to California to see my parents.

Jim mentions that they were heavily insulated in the roof, and that may be the remnants of the insulation compartment showing above the door opening in my shot. Their wall insulation was behind plywood lining, a wooden door was behind the original steel door, and some cars had load restrainers. You can also see the small access hatch to the insulation compartment just below the running board on the end of the car (they had one at each end).

Jim also mentions a similar experimental car for potatoes, 60080. Apparently it was a failure, as there was only one. Sorry, but there is no photo in his book. 

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM Josh <segorailroadmodels@...> wrote:
I know Parker and saw his scan of the slide. That is a silver painted car, I'm not sure how any of you are seeing red. It's a single door, not double. The D&RGW painted a few dozen (if I remember correctly) Pressed Steel Car Company 40-foot boxcars silver with black lettering for service at the Denver Keebler bakery, which became known as the "Cookie Box" scheme. It may be one of those. There are a few dozen of these cars scattered across the landscape in the San Luis Valley still. A google image search will yield many good photos.


Jim Allen
 

Who or what is this “Silver Streak”?
--
Jim Allen
Utah


Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Jim,

Silver Streak was a line of wood-sided freight cars, mostly boxcars, cabooses, a few refrigerators, and a Hart convertible gondola. The cars had scribed and pre-painted plywood sides and unpainted diecast ends, underframes, brake parts and doors that were applied to a wooden core: typical construction for the 1950s when they were introduced. As was common in those days the cars were pretty generic, and didn't really represent their purported prototypes. For example, the D&RGW "Cookie Box" they offered should have had steel sides, not wooden, and the paint was white rather than silver. The line was acquired by Walthers in the early 1970s, but was retired a few years later when they bought the Train Miniature plastic freight car line.

By the way, some of the cars I built just before the Walthers take-over were painted with Ulrich 410M, and this was specified in the instructions. This paint brand had disappeared some years before. It wasn't always easy to match the sides with Floquil.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆


On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 6:11 PM Jim Allen <jimp72@...> wrote:
Who or what is this “Silver Streak”?
--
Jim Allen
Utah


Tony Thompson
 

Garth Groff  wrote:

Silver Streak was a line of wood-sided freight cars, mostly boxcars, cabooses, a few refrigerators, and a Hart convertible gondola. The cars had scribed and pre-painted plywood sides and unpainted diecast ends, underframes, brake parts and doors that were applied to a wooden core: typical construction for the 1950s when they were introduced. As was common in those days the cars were pretty generic, and didn't really represent their purported prototypes. 

    Worth observing that the older portion of the Silver Streak line, maybe a third of the kits, including the SP cupola caboose, were about 10 percent oversize, almost exactly making them OO scale, maybe hedging their bets in case OO won out over HO? Caveat Emptor.
     But many can be salvaged. Richard Hendrickson wrote a nice article for_ Prototype Modeler_  (issue for January 1986) showing how he corrected the dimensions on a WFEX reefer kit. I showed the completed model in one of my blog posts about Richard (link below if you're interested).


Tony Thompson




Nolan Hinshaw
 

On Sep 17, 2020, at 07:59, Jim Allen <@rio_rules> wrote:

Who or what is this “Silver Streak”?
Dave "Silver Streak" Bayless worked the GEMCO job in Lozangelez for a long time; he's a perennial Bay Area modeler.


Mark Hemphill
 

D&RGW "Cookie Box" insulated boxcars constructed under AFE #3927 in 1955 were painted white. All other Cookie Box cars were painted silver. At least two Cookie Box cars from AFE #5557 in 1961 received black ends instead of silver ends. There were in total 77 Cookie Box cars constructed in four AFEs between 1956 and 1961. All were built from PSC 40' 12-panel straight side cars. Seventy-four of the 77 total Cookie Box cars were pre-war with 4/5 Dreadnought ends and 7-rung ladders, three were post-war with 4/4 Improved Dreadnaught ends and 8-rung laddersThere are at least four different types of running boards on the cars converted to Cookie Box cars; 44 of them were wood; 23 Tri-Lock, 3 USG, 3 Blaw-Know, 1 unknown.

The car in the photo does not appear to be a Cookie Box. It appears to have a partially tabbed side sill and the D&RGW PSC boxcars built into Cookie Box cars have straight side sills. It has a black end and the only Cookie Box cars known to have black ends were not constructed until 1961, five years after this photograph was taken.

Mark Hemphill


Jim Allen
 

Thank you for the info on Silver Streak.  I’m an O scaler. 

Jim Allen
Visit www.oscaledirectory.com


--
Jim Allen
Utah