Topics

What Is This Box?

Bob Chaparro

What Is This Box?

In the photo on this link there is a box attached to the crossing sign:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-10-10-19/X7818.jpg

Could this be a waybill box for the (possible) spur or siding that is to the left of the picture?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

spsalso

Considering the tire marks right in front of the box, it MIGHT be a mail box for someone living immediately to the right.  They may have decided the extant post was superior to the one they'd have to install for themselves.

Whatever it was, I would say the tire marks indicate frequent motor vehicle visits.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 12:25 PM, spsalso wrote:
Considering the tire marks right in front of the box, it MIGHT be a mail box for someone living immediately to the right.
It might also be a mailbox for the local depot, if there is one right out of the picture.

Dennis Storzek

Brian Termunde

The previous picture does show a house nearby. Not sure if the railroad would approve of this use of it's property though!

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-10-10-19/X7817.jpg

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Jack Mullen

In the fist post of this thread, Bob Chaparro asked:
Could this be a waybill box for the (possible) spur or siding that is to the left of the picture?
It's possible, but a few things make me doubtful that this is a bill box.
- There's no lock, and no provision for a lock that I can see.
- The placement seems to be in a more public location than necessary, and not one particularly convenient for train crews.
So to me it's more likely it's a US Mail box.
Like Ed, I wonder whether the resident of the house near that tracks has just appropriated the post for his mailbox.  There's no other roadside mailbox at that house.
Or it could be a mailbox for railroad use as Dennis suggested. Tire tracks turning off the road toward the switchstand suggest there may be SOME facility to drive to along the tracks down there, perhaps an interlocking tower or section house. But if that's what the box is for, why is it on the opposite side of the tracks?  Ponderables that we'll never answer with certitude.

Other than the mysterious box, the overall scene is beautiful, and there are a lot of other interesting details in these photos. The multiplicity of power lines, phone lines, and telegraph and perhaps signal lines stands out. There are miles of wire in these shots.
The far track has screw spikes, the nearer track has cut spikes, and some ties seem to be missing spikes or plates.
There's only a single crossbuck, and lacks the "2 TRACKS" notice that would be mandated later. I wish we could see more of the switch and whatever is down the R-O-W there....

Jack Mullen

spsalso

On consideration, the box under discussion looks more like a newspaper box than a mail box.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Steve Haas

I was about to suggest the same.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

ron christensen

The white fence on both side of the track is interesting, especially since there is only a corner on the far side.
i think it is a mail box maybe for a RR section man?
Ron Christensen
Jack we missed you at Chicago RPM this week

Bob Chaparro

That second photo would seem to rule out a mailbox or newspaper box for the nearby house. There is a sign with post (probably the warning sign for the crossing) much closer to the house.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA