Topics

What Is This Fellow Doing?

Bob Chaparro

What Is This Fellow Doing?

A photo from the Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017839374/

The fellow appears to have a chalk stick in his hand but instead of making a mark on the car body or trucks, he appears to be writing on a route/destination card.

Seems odd to me, or maybe this is a staged photo.

Opinions?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

What Is This Fellow Doing?

A photo from the Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017839374/

The fellow appears to have a chalk stick in his hand but instead of making a mark on the car body or trucks, he appears to be writing on a route/destination card.

    I think he's attaching a route card. He's not holding a chalk stick but a tacker.

Tony Thompson

Walter

There is an explanation at the top of the picture.

erieblt2

I believe his at the place they put ‘bad-order’ info. The Who/What/Where/Why of the problem. I saw an agent on the Western Maryland, Highfield station-at that spot. He said he was filling out bad order paper work for a car the could be moved(to Hagerstown). Not exactly a definitive answer. Bill S

On Jun 18, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Walter <wohrnell@...> wrote:

There is an explanation at the top of the picture.

David Soderblom

Given that a journal is clearly missing its lid, I’d say he’s tacking a Bad Order card to get that fixed.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA

Bruce Smith

David,

Look again, the journal lids are open, not missing. That's because this is a hump and  journals were oiled as the car passed over the hump.

He is applying a route card to the route card tack board.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL