Topics

What Is This Flatcar Load?

Bob Chaparro

What Is This Flatcar Load?

This is a photo from  Marty McGuirk's Central Vermont Railway blog:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JW-ZAi-H3E0/U8h4fLAZUYI/AAAAAAAABoA/bOaVm0FaMv8/s1600/cbq91243.jpg

Can anyone identify the load? Perhaps military generators as suggested by Marty?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Folks,

I was pretty sure that these were not generators because of the additional equipment and the nature of the trailer. I asked over on the 1-87Military Modelers group and Jim Eager replied:

”Those are AN/MPQ-4 mortar fire finder radar units.  The TM for them is 11-5840-208-10. The power generator and other auxiliary equipment for them would have been on a separate trailer.”

To translate, these are small radar units used to locate the source of incoming enemy mortar fire and direct counter-battery fire to suppress them.  Neat!

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Sep 10, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

What Is This Flatcar Load?
This is a photo from  Marty McGuirk's Central Vermont Railway blog:
Can anyone identify the load? Perhaps military generators as suggested by Marty?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bill Keene

Thank you for the ID on the load.

What I would like to know is … where can I find a model of this flat car? Or any info at all?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bill,

Model Power makes a plastic model of this car in N scale.

I don't know if they paint/letter it for CB&Q though...

Claus Schlund

[...]

This is good news. Any chance of there being a model in HO scale?

Thanks,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill,

The car is CB&Q 91243, an FM-11/11A class car. The reason that Marty's blog had the prototype photo was that he was building a model.

A resin HO FM-11 model was recently available from Ed Rethwischm and Jerry Hamsmith .

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

[...]

Bruce,

Thank You. I need a few flat cars and this one looks like a good candidate.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Marty McGuirk

I’d received the ID of the load after I’d posted the photo on my blog. Obviously I forgot to update the post!
My car is a Sunshine Models kit that was one of the registration door prizes Martin used to provide at his Naperville meets.

Marty

On Sep 10, 2020, at 5:36 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bill,

Have you considered Chad Boaz's kits? He has some neat stuff nobody else has done. They are pretty basic bodies and underframes, to which you add the details. I have a couple waiting to build and I think they are pretty nice.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 5:39 PM Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rob & Bev Manley

With regards to the CB&Q Flatcar. I built the Sunshine Mini-kit and Chad's NP flatcar. Both are great kits. My method of weighting was to measure the cells on the bottoms of both cars, Rule up a grid of the sizes using a T-Square and Triangle. I then took some sheet lead I got from my house's re-roofing and replacement from the old flashing. I rolled the lead sheet flat and taped it over the template. Scoring the lead, I was able to harvest perfectly sized drop in panels. I can now place the  empty cars behind the locomotive in a sixty car train.

The "CB&Q" decal lettering on the Sunshine car is too high for the model and prototype photos.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Thursday, September 10, 2020, 05:22:43 PM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

[...]

Nelson Moyer

And that mini-kit was the inspiration for the gorgeous FM-11/11A kits offered by Jerry Hamsmith, due largely to the artistry of Ed Rethwisch. Having built ten of these kits I speak from experience.

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Jerry Hamsmith

Bill and all –

The car in question is a CB&Q FM-11/-11A.  850 cars were built by the railroad in 1928 through 1930.  The cars were 45 feet long and many lasted in revenue service through the merger.  Also, a number of cars were converted for use in TOFC service beginning in 1953.

Ed Rethwisch and I have created and sell HO scale resin kits for this car.  If you have any interest in acquiring a kit, please contact me, OFF LIST, at hammersr at aol dot com

Jerry Hamsmith