Topics

What's on my workbench

O Fenton Wells

OK here are 5 in the que in various stages of building and finishing.
From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Paul Doggett

Fenton
How do you go on building five cars at once, I am a one item at a time guy.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Aug 2020, at 16:18, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

OK here are 5 in the que in various stages of building and finishing.
From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Attachments:

Nelson Moyer

Paul, it’s not all that hard, and it can be a great time saver when all of the cars are alike, especially if you make simple jigs to bend the uncoupling levers, brake piping, and cut the brake rods. Jigs eliminate a lot of cut and fit. It also lumps all of onerous tasks together so you get them out of the way at the same time, and it promotes uniformity of like car relative to brake component placement, etc.. Batch building gives you an opportunity to find any kit shortcomings or difficult steps up front so you know how to handle then for the rest of the builds. It allows you to match sides, ends, roofs,, and floors for best fit. You can batch paint, which is also a time saver, and batch decaling avoids waiting time while the decals dry. Think about Henry Ford and the production line. I’ve batch built 24 stock cars, 16 gondolas, 13 reefers (those included truss rod, steel frame wood side, steel frame steel side, and steel plug door versions), 8 troop kitchen conversions, six 42 ft. flat cars, four 52 ft. flat cars, and several sets of 3 to 6 boxcars. While it may seem overwhelming to do 24 stock cars at once, It’s easier to plan road numbers in batch than having to go back and figure out which individual number to use, especially when most kit decals only support 2 or 3 road numbers and you have to splice the rest. I’ll admit that  cleaning up 48 stock car sides or drilling thousands of grab iron holes isn’t particularly fun, but neither is it fun to spread those tasks out over months or years. Best of all, when you’ve finished the builds, you have multiple new additions to your freight car fleet to admire. I’m batch building 23 passenger cars at present, and while they all use the same basic construction techniques, they are all different except for one set of three coaches. Now that had turned out to be a challenging project indeed.

Nelson Moyer

How do you go on building five cars at once, I am a one item at a time guy.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Aug 2020, at 16:18, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

OK here are 5 in the que in various stages of building and finishing.
From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Attachments:

Schuyler Larrabee

OMG Fenton, you are having WAY too much fun.  And you’ve got more organizational skills than I do.  Sometimes I can’t find my single edge blades . . .

Schuyler

OK here are 5 in the que in various stages of building and finishing.
From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Schuyler Larrabee

Good Lord, Nelson.

I was impressed by Clark Propst, but now . . .

Schuyler

[...]

From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Attachments:

Paul Doggett

Nelson

I see your point one of my problems is I only have a small modelling area about 24x18 inches. Also I do like to build a car then build a different car as my layout out is pretty well complete so I really cannot divert to doing work on that, as for building 48 stock car I take my crash helmet off to you.
At 72 I guess I am stuck in my ways having built in 4mm/ft and done a lot of scratch building in 0 scale 7mm/ft including 1890-1910 British goods wagons (not freight cars) for the industrial museum at Derby.
I also scratch built locos, passenger coaches and wagons for the 0 gauge layout I had at the time.

Regards Paul

[...]

From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Attachments:

O Fenton Wells

It just kinda evolved.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Fenton
How do you go on building five cars at once, I am a one item at a time guy.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Aug 2020, at 16:18, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

OK here are 5 in the que in various stages of building and finishing.
From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

Attachments:

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

O Fenton Wells

i lost my HO scale ruler, I've had it since the early 1960's. Did any of you guys borrow it????
Fenton

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:29 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

OMG Fenton, you are having WAY too much fun.  And you’ve got more organizational skills than I do.  Sometimes I can’t find my single edge blades . . .

Schuyler

OK here are 5 in the que in various stages of building and finishing.
From the bottom up, the bottom car is a Tichy/Sunshine mini kit that I got in a trade from Clark Propst.  Love it as I've never built a Tichy car before. The next car up is a Front Range with 8 ft door Wabash (NJI&I) that was inspired by the "I wanna rebuild older plastic kits like Bob Chapman does, building series", who also inspired the next two up the line.  The next car up the line on top  is another Front Range with 8 ft door will be a Columbia, Newberry and Lauens (ACL) boxcar with the special ACF roof that Pierrer from Yarmouth Models provided,  next up the line is a 40 ft DD Front Range will be a Wabash 8xxx series car and finally the top car a McKean 40 ft DD car will be a Norfolk Southern (Old) boxcar.
Just say'in
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Nelson Moyer

One small correction, Paul, I said 48 stock car sides, so that’s only 24 cars. Actually, my workbench is small like yours because it shares duty as my ham radio bench and computer station I get around that limitation by using lots of cutting mats, breadboards, or simply hanging file folders holding the instructions and prototype photos to move parts and partial builds on and off of the workbench. It’s very much a production line process. with only the active board on the bench at one time. Before I had to sacrifice space for my triple deck layout, I had a 6 ft. by 18 in. workbench, and that’s where I build the stock cars. After that, I cut down the bench and put it in a closet to save space for the layout. Don’t used age as an excuse. I started building the layout at age 70, and I’m 77 now. All of the other batch builds except the stock cars were done in the closet. I attached photos of the closet and some of the ‘parts holders’.

Nelson Moyer

I see your point one of my problems is I only have a small modelling area about 24x18 inches. Also I do like to build a car then build a different car as my layout out is pretty well complete so I really cannot divert to doing work on that, as for building 48 stock car I take my crash helmet off to you.

At 72 I guess I am stuck in my ways having built in 4mm/ft and done a lot of scratch building in 0 scale 7mm/ft including 1890-1910 British goods wagons (not freight cars) for the industrial museum at Derby.

I also scratch built locos, passenger coaches and wagons for the 0 gauge layout I had at the time.

Regards Paul

Paul Doggett

Nelson

That’s a great set up you have, I do my modelling so I am handy from my wife who does have health problems. Even 24 stock cars is pretty good going. Oh age is not an excuse I still have fifty kits to build and at least 10 locos to paint plus I do like to run the layout now and again.
Paul

[...]

Nelson, Impressive, you are much better organized and neater than I am.
I'm 77 and muddling through
  Fenton

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 2:21 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Madden

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
i lost my HO scale ruler, I've had it since the early 1960's. Did any of you guys borrow it????
Fenton
I lose lots of tools, usually when they're in plain sight. They're right where they should be on my workbench, I just don't see them.

Tom Madden

Jim Hayes

I'm just like you Tom. I'll lose something, look all over for it, then several days later "there it is" right in front of me.

Jim

Schuyler Larrabee

I can identify, Tom, I can identify.

Schuyler

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:

i lost my HO scale ruler, I've had it since the early 1960's. Did any of you guys borrow it????

Fenton

I lose lots of tools, usually when they're in plain sight. They're right where they should be on my workbench, I just don't see them.

Tom Madden

O Fenton Wells

Yessir Tom, me too only this time I brought in the master and she couldn't see it anyway.  I'm sure it will show up soon.  I bought 2 of them yesterday with free shipping

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 1:18 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I can identify, Tom, I can identify.

Schuyler

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:

i lost my HO scale ruler, I've had it since the early 1960's. Did any of you guys borrow it????

Fenton

I lose lots of tools, usually when they're in plain sight. They're right where they should be on my workbench, I just don't see them.

Tom Madden

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Mont Switzer

Best way to find a lost tool is to purchase a replacement.  They always show up shortly thereafter.  Mont Switzer

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:

i lost my HO scale ruler, I've had it since the early 1960's. Did any of you guys borrow it????

Fenton

I lose lots of tools, usually when they're in plain sight. They're right where they should be on my workbench, I just don't see them.

Tom Madden

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

Mont,  I agree and that's why I bought 2 replacements
Fenton

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...> wrote:

[...]

Armand Premo

What 's on my workbench? A sea  of silver.I lose tools that are right in front of me.I have started to color code tools with a bit of paint.I still lose tools,but not as many and not as often.Armand Premo