what type of car is this?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Anyone have any thoughts on these cars? As in , what type of car is this?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

David Soderblom

With the roof hatches and side dumping, I’d say wood chips.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

Robert G P

Definitely some kind of boxcar that was converted to a covered hopper. Could be used for anything from concrete to coke.

-Bob

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 3:31 PM Edward <edb8381@...> wrote:
The appear to be older wood body boxcars that have been converted into covered hoppers.
The door openings were filled in, the lower sides were re-enforced with additional bracing, roof hatchs were intalled, and likely discharge hoppers put onto the bottom as well.
They carry only a number, with no road initials
Lilkely they were for on-line use only and not for interchange.

Ed Bommer

David Soderblom

If concrete, then there’d be gray all over the sides.

Sent from my tricorder

Daniel A. Mitchell

Most likely they are wood-chip cars, often called “Hog Fuel” cars. Usually they are rebuilt boxcars. The only thing unusual about them is the roof with hatches ... usually these are just left open-topped. They probably have no bottom-dump hatches, they dump out of low-mounted side doors (plainly seen in these photos).

“Hog Fuel” consists of coarse wood waste … mostly much larger chunks than sawdust. The name comes from the big wood-chipper that most sawmills used to break up the left-over slash unfit for lumber … the chipper was called a “Hog”. The “Hog Fuel” could also contain small blocks … cut-offs from timbers cut to standard lengths. A common use for such material was fuel for the MANY "donkey” engines used in the lumber woods, as well as small boilers on most any steam engines (NOT necessarily steam locomotives).

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 16, 2021, at 2:17 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Anyone have any thoughts on these cars? As in , what type of car is this?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Rich C

I mentioned to Claus earlier that they could be in "hide" service. That would make sense with hatches on the roof and sides. I also agree that if they were hogfuel types the roof would have been removed. Now the cars only seem to have a number and no visible reporting marks could be, as someone else mentioned, online service only. It is definitely on the Milwaukee Road or on a line adjacent to the Milwaukee. Might be interesting research

Rich Christie

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

I Just checked my Milw car diagram book from 1958, that I have reprinted and offer for sale.  These are "Chip Cars",  Wood chips numbered 2730000 to 273260. The first part of the group was rebuilt in Tacoma in 1952 and more cars were rebuilt in 1956.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353