From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:55 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] When did USRE Rebuild begin to appear

USRE is/was the rebuilder of freight cars and used for corporate identity an outline of the continental United States stenciled on the side of boxcars that is easy to spot in photos. My question is does anyone know when this company began their business?

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Excellent, thank you Peter.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Bill

My earliest photo of a car with the USRE "United States" map on the side is from 1962.
The LS&I sold PS-1 box cars to USRE in 1961. And I have a note that says Tennessee Central
500-564 were leased from USRE in 1958. I evidently got this TC information from a letter to
the editor written by Stephen D. Johnson and published in the May 1989 (or possibly 1987, I
have conflicting notes) Model Railroading magazine. :-[ Eric Neubauer noted that the TC cars
were from USRE "Lot 179" so I'm guessing that means they were already in business for a while.

Tim O'Connor

USRE is/was the rebuilder of freight cars and used for corporate identity an outline of the continental United States stenciled on the side of boxcars that is easy to spot in photos. My question is does anyone know when this company began their business?
Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Scanlon

Edited

-- My earliest photo of a car with the USRE "United States" map on the side is from 1962.
The LS&I sold PS-1 box cars to USRE in 1961. And I have a note that says Tennessee Central
500-564 were leased from USRE in 1958. I evidently got this TC information from a letter to
the editor written by Stephen D. Johnson and published in the May 1989 (or possibly 1987, I
have conflicting notes) Model Railroading magazine. :-[ Eric Neubauer noted that the TC cars
were from USRE "Lot 179" so I'm guessing that means they were already in business for a while.

Tim O'Connor

Tim, are you saying/implying that TC leased PS-1s from USRE? Or other types?

Cheers,
Ben Scanlon
Tottenham, England

Tim O'Connor

No, there is no such implication. That's what happens when you take things out
of context. The thread was about the origin of the USRE "brand name".

The TC cars were built by Pullman Standard but they were not PS-1 design. They
originally had Pullman carbuilder ends and roofs, but appear that some or all of
them received diagonal panel roofs from USRE.

[Edited Message Follows]