Topics

Who offered this O scale PFE #71407 R-40-2 reefer?

wahsatch

As I watched the bidding go hi, was wondering who offered this car. Some say it's a kit, but my 2 look almost identical.

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kit-Built-Reefer-Refrigerator-Car-Pacific-Fruit-Express-SP-PFE-2-Rail-O-Gauge/353082327845>

Thanks for any help!

-=- Bob Colquitt

Edward

I could not get your E-bay link to work and by now its likely gone.
However, an O scale wood body PEF refrigerator with that  number is likely from this  Walthers 5415 kit.

Ed Bommer

Tony Thompson

I could not find it from your E-bay link, but a PFE wood body reefer with that number would be from a Walthers Number 5415 kit.

    The kit number and class are indeed R-40-2, but that class had grab-iron rows, not ladders, so as presented the model is incorrect.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Tony

Weren't the R-40-2 (grabs) and R-40-4 (ladders) alike - except for the ladders? I'm just working from memory or
what little is left of it...

On 6/6/2020 2:23 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
I could not find it from your E-bay link, but a PFE wood body reefer with that number would be from a Walthers Number 5415 kit.

    The kit number and class are indeed R-40-2, but that class had grab-iron rows, not ladders, so as presented the model is incorrect.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Edward

Edited

We O scale modelers are accustomed to having ladders in just about every box car or reefer kit, whether the prototype had them or not.
For those among us who prize better modeling fidelity, its not a big deal to make the individual grab irons.
The photo I used was a Walthers catalog shot of their 5415 kit.
For me, a kit is a start, not an end product when done.
I've often wondered since my teens in the early 1950's, who built and how long did it take to make all those models used for advertising and catalog photos for the O scale kit producers.

Here are two of my kit built cars The first is a Walthers kit I had from the 1950's. I rebuilt it in1998 to represent I (close, but not exactly) the 'winner' of the 1924 D&H Inter-shop Car Building Contest held at Oneonta NY  where I was living at the time. The other is a modified early (warped parts) Chooch USRA box car I built in 2002.
To get hand grabs spaced, I make a brass jig with notches to locate holes to be drilled for them.
I've got three of them now. One always seems work, depending on how tall the car body is.

Ed Bommer

Jack Mullen

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Tony Thompson wrote:
The kit number and class are indeed R-40-2, but that class had grab-iron rows, not ladders, so as presented the model is incorrect.
Yes, but unfortunately replacing the clunky slippery plastic ladders with grabs won't make this an R-40-2. The car body is a foob for  that or any PFE class I can think of. And the orange is wrong.

It is indeed a Walthers kit. Not sure when it originated, but was marketed in the '70s iirc.

Jack Mullen