Topics

Whose gon and dolomite container cars are these?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

This is a pretty rare shot, maybe due to unflashy nature of the subject:

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_1_0166

But super interesting that cars on the charging floor being unloaded for use include the scrap gon and dolomite container car.  Whose are they?  Seems LSC is Laclede Steel Co.; OK, served by who?

Elden Gatwood

Eric Hansmann

The image title is: Filling scrap charging bucket, Laclede Steel Company (Alton, Ill.). Here’s a wiki page on the successor, Alton Steel. I wonder if the B&O served the plant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Steel

I see a Missouri Pacific buzzsaw logo on the gon with containers.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

This is a pretty rare shot, maybe due to unflashy nature of the subject:

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_1_0166

But super interesting that cars on the charging floor being unloaded for use include the scrap gon and dolomite container car.  Whose are they?  Seems LSC is Laclede Steel Co.; OK, served by who?

Elden Gatwood

william darnaby

The NKP had a couple of series of gons in dolomite container service out of the online plant near Maple Grove, Ohio.  Same type of containers, 7 tons each IIRC.  In one of my Cycs there is an add for these containers but I am too lazy to dig it out.  As far as I know the NKP cars all went east to the mills.

Bill Darnaby

This is a pretty rare shot, maybe due to unflashy nature of the subject:

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_1_0166

But super interesting that cars on the charging floor being unloaded for use include the scrap gon and dolomite container car.  Whose are they?  Seems LSC is Laclede Steel Co.; OK, served by who?

Elden Gatwood

mopacfirst

The Missouri-Illinois originated a lot of dolomite shipments and other limestone products.  The containers appear to have the name Missouri Pacific Lines barely visible under the spillage.

Besides the containers shown, the product was also shipped in roofed covered hoppers, made from at least three different series of open triple hoppers.  Shipments sometimes moved in cuts of several of these cars, for instance for power plant use.

Ron Merrick