Why Aren't There Production Kits?

Charlie Vlk

Tony-
Kadee and Micro-Trains are legacy Made in the U.S.A. businesses and God bless them for being able to keep them prospering.   They were fortunate to be in places and circumstances outside of the currents that swept away the others I mentioned and more.
It isn’t just the cost of labor that has driven companies to China.   Simply, the creation of turnkey manufacturing centers has removed most of the myriad of roadblocks to creating product....in many aspects.  It has allowed individuals to visualize and import world-class products which would not be possible to initiate here from scratch.
Somebody could invest their money in a new startup or even buy an existing company to prove that they can make kits here proving Atlas, Athearn, Con-Cor, Model Die Casting, and others were wrong.
Charlie Vlk

On Jul 25, 2021, at 5:20 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
Or maybe you would want to talk to Kadee instead. _

Tony Thompson

Charlie Vlk wrote:

Kadee and Micro-Trains are legacy Made in the U.S.A. businesses and God bless them for being able to keep them prospering.   They were fortunate to be in places and circumstances outside of the currents that swept away the others I mentioned and more.

Gee, all this time I thought your list (Atlas, Athearn, Con-Cor, etc.) were legacies too.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

There's probably a price (cost) threshold that will bring manufacturing back closer to the consumer.

New 'super quality' freight cars are almost all pushing $50 or more (some are MUCH more). And lots
of old junk models are selling just below that 'price umbrella' that gives them cover for asking $30 for
a product that has 10 parts assembled in two minutes from tooling that is 50+ years old in some cases.
The "Athearn Blue Box" group on Facebook represents a lot of people who love model trains but do
not want to spend a lot of money on them.

But other than Kadee (genius level design & manufacturing) I don't think those 'super quality' models are
going to be built here in our lifetimes, unless we build them. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 7/26/2021 1:07 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts