Topics

Wine car ops

Andy Carlson

I remember this shot. Wine cars seemed to outnumber
all other cars. I recall that the cars were mostly
different, with 2, 3, 4 and 6 domes, various dome
configurations, and different tank profiles. A modeled
scene with 30 or more identical 6 dome tank cars might
make some of us uncomfortable, and we are still left
looking at kitbashing/scratch building.

I look at freight train consists in vintage photos and
I am aware that though lots of the cars are available
(in HO), many are not. Resin continues to be our best
resource for fleshing out consists, and shall be into
the future, as styrene cars most likely will never
completely fill this gap.
-Andy Carlson
--- Mr Charles burns <cjburns1957@yahoo.com> wrote:

There was some discussion of winecars on this list
while back, and one post {gatx417?}had a Bob Morris
photo of Fresno with many wine cars in view. So for
the central valley in the 50s-60s at least,wine cars
were not an oddity. This is enough of an excuse for
me
to build a 6 dome wine car for my N scale 64'
Coastline layout.

ljack70117@...

On Sep 23, 2005, at 10:46 AM, timboconnor@comcast.net wrote:

Couldn't a six-compartment tank car make as many as six deliveries
to customers? I forget the name for this type of tarriff but I think that
cars could make multiple stops to drop partial cargos. So if there were
a small bottler in Gridley who buys wine in 1,000 gallon lots (enough
for 1,000 large jugs of wine), then that might work... If you think about
it, a small town of 1,000 people on average consumes somewhere
around that amount of wine every year.

Tim O'Connor
Sorry but when I was a clerk on the UPRR you were allowed 2 stops en- route. You paid the freight on the whole car to the finial stop and a stop fee for each stop.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them.

Roger Parry <uncleroger@...>

Would Wine cars of any number of domes be appropriate for the 1930's ?

On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:26 PM, Mr Charles burns wrote:

Hello Tim ,All
There was some discussion of winecars on this list a
while back, and one post {gatx417?}had a Bob Morris
photo of Fresno with many wine cars in view. So for
the central valley in the 50s-60s at least,wine cars
were not an oddity. This is enough of an excuse for me
to build a 6 dome wine car for my N scale 64'
Coastline layout.
Charlie Burns

--- Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@sunlink.net> wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Wine tank cars would certainly not have been seen
on branch lines in
places like Kansas or Georgia. But there is
abundant photographic
evidence of them in the trains of the major
transcontinental carriers
that served California such as the Santa Fe, Union
Pacific/C&NW, and
Southern Pacific/Rock Island/T&NO/SSW, sometimes
several of them at one
time, en route to widely scattered destinations.
I wonder sometimes whether the "abundant
photographic evidence" is more
related to the oddity of a car than to quantity.

Tim Gilbert

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 25, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Roger Parry wrote:

Would Wine cars of any number of domes be appropriate for the 1930's ?
Depends on when in the 1930s. Obviously, bulk wine wasn't shipped at all until after the repeal of prohibition in 1933. However, three compartment insulated, glass lined tank cars for wine shipments were built by both AC&F and GATC as early as 1937, though six compartment cars didn't begin to appear until 1939.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Townsend

I have a book about the Santa Clara Valley wine industry that contains a photo of four single-dome tank cars being loaded with Mirassou wine in San Jose. One is GATX 3827. The others do not have legible reporting marks, but one is a high-walkway car. It looks like they trucked the aging casks to the siding, and pumped wine from the casks to the tank cars.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Wine tank cars would certainly not have been seen
on branch lines in
places like Kansas or Georgia. �But there is
abundant photographic
evidence of them in the trains of the major
transcontinental carriers
that served California such as the Santa Fe, Union
Pacific/C&NW, and
Southern Pacific/Rock Island/T&NO/SSW, sometimes
several of them at one
time, en route to widely scattered destinations.
I wonder sometimes whether the "abundant
photographic evidence" is more
related to the oddity of a car than to quantity.

Tim Gilbert

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Richard Townsend

Forgot to mention that the vehicles in the picture appear to be from the twenties, so it is likely that the photo is from the early post-prohibition days.