Topics

Wire handrails

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Tony Thompson writes in the Steamloco forum:

. I too dislike intensely
the application of styrene handrails, and consistently replace them with
wire. I don't think styrene is a good material for this application.

This raises an interesting point. Tony, what substance [ glue ] do you use
to attach them [ wire handrails ]? Anyone know how P2K is attaching the ones
on the gons?

Mike

Richard Hendrickson

Tony Thompson writes in the Steamloco forum:

. I too dislike intensely
the application of styrene handrails, and consistently replace them with
wire. I don't think styrene is a good material for this application.

This raises an interesting point. Tony, what substance [ glue ] do you use
to attach them [ wire handrails ]? Anyone know how P2K is attaching the ones
on the gons?
CA works fine, in my experience.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

thompson@...

Mike Brock asked:
This raises an interesting point. Tony, what substance [ glue ] do you use
to attach them [ wire handrails ]? Anyone know how P2K is attaching the ones
on the gons?
I usually use my favorite inter-material adhesive, R/C-56, a white glue
from the model airplane field which dries clear and flexible. Great stuff.
Ideal, in particular, for etched metal running boards or F-unit grilles.

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tony,

Is R/C-56 anything like the stuff Microscale sells for making windows?
Crystal Clear or some such name? This is also a white glue, but unlike
classic Elmers, it stays sort of rubbery for a long time (maybe
forever). In addition to filling in small windows, I have used it as a
glue to affix clear styrene window glazing to the inside of cabooses,
and thought it might have a lot of other uses.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

thompson@... wrote:

I usually use my favorite inter-material adhesive, R/C-56, a white glue
from the model airplane field which dries clear and flexible. Great stuff.
Ideal, in particular, for etched metal running boards or F-unit grilles.

Max Robin

I too dislike styrene handrails. My normal attachment mode is 5
minute epoxy, solder, or (last choice) ACC.

Max