Topics

wire source

Larry Smith

Does anyone know of a source for Detail Associates .015 brass wire.  No one seems to have it and I need it for a freight car project I'm doing

Larry Smith

Paul Doggett

Larry

Tichy trains have 0.015” phosphor bronze wire in stock.

Paul Doggett

On 30 Jan 2020, at 17:19, Larry Smith <wooddale@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for Detail Associates .015 brass wire.  No one seems to have it and I need it for a freight car project I'm doing

Larry Smith

Tim O'Connor

Also, contact Des Plaines Hobbies. They stock a huge variety of wire and
tubing in many materials. For certain applications, brass wire may be a better
material than phosphor bronze.

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Edward

Clover House has .014" and .016" straightened (slightly tempered) brass wire.
Ed Bommer

Nelson Moyer

Tim, I’m curious about what freight car applications brass would be better than phosphore bronze wire. I’ve built 120+ resin kits with phosphor bronze wire using 0.008, 0.010, 0.0125, 0.015, and 0.020 in. wire sizes, and I prefer phosphor bronze to brass.

Nelson Moyer

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor> wrote:

Also, contact Des Plaines Hobbies. They stock a huge variety of wire and
tubing in many materials. For certain applications, brass wire may be a better
material than phosphor bronze.

Tim O'Connor

On 1/30/2020 12:25 PM, Paul Doggett via Groups.Io wrote:
Larry

Tichy trains have 0.015” phosphor bronze wire in stock.

Paul Doggett

On 30 Jan 2020, at 17:19, Larry Smith <wooddale@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for Detail Associates .015 brass wire. No one seems to have it and I need it for a freight car project I'm doing

Larry Smith

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

A brass model, for example. I have done soldering on a number of brass models.

Brass to brass solder.

On 1/30/2020 12:46 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:
[...]

Makes sense to me. I don’t do resistance soldering, but I have soldered phosphor bronze grab irons to brass brackets for several of the plywood side Sunshine kits, and I’ve soldered several of the YMW ladders, so phosphor bronze solders just fine to brass.

Nelson Moyer

On Jan 30, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor> wrote:

[...]

steve_wintner

Is .0145" close enough ? ;) Eileen's emporium has all sorts of stuff, e g.  0.37 mm brass wire. Yes, ordering internationally is probably not ideal, but ...

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&product_id=5673&name=brass-straight-wire&Itemid=189&category_pathway=1131

Steve

Dave Pfeiffer

Precision Scale has .016 brass wire.