Topics

WM Postwar AAR Boxcar – Front Range Upgrade #3

Bob Chapman

WM #4009 was one of series #4001-4050 built 7/51. The prototype featured a 7-foot panel door with unusual rib spacing at panel #3 to accommodate the tack board, improved dreadnaught ends, and a diagonal panel roof.

The Front Range model’s deep-fishbelly sidesill was modified to duplicate the prototype’s tabbed design, and its eight-foot door opening narrowed to the prototype’s seven feet. The height of the third panel of a Detail Associates door was increased to match the prototype’s unusual spacing. Other detail adds include Kadee 7/7 ladders/grabs/Equipco brakewheel, Yarmouth Apex runningboard, and Kato ASF A-3 trucks. Decals are Speedwitch.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

O Fenton Wells

Well done Bob, I especially like the way you handled the door.  Where do you get your door hardware from?
I will have a few Front Range and CB&T cars to enter into the "I wanna model the older plastic kits like Bob" contest in a few days.
Love what you are doing keep it up
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Nelson Moyer

Nicely done, Bob. I need to pay more attention to some of the plastic kit upgrades on my list, and you’re providing lots of inspiration.

Nelson Moyer

WM #4009 was one of series #4001-4050 built 7/51. The prototype featured a 7-foot panel door with unusual rib spacing at panel #3 to accommodate the tack board, improved dreadnaught ends, and a diagonal panel roof.

The Front Range model’s deep-fishbelly sidesill was modified to duplicate the prototype’s tabbed design, and its eight-foot door opening narrowed to the prototype’s seven feet. The height of the third panel of a Detail Associates door was increased to match the prototype’s unusual spacing. Other detail adds include Kadee 7/7 ladders/grabs/Equipco brakewheel, Yarmouth Apex runningboard, and Kato ASF A-3 trucks. Decals are Speedwitch.

Regards,

Bob Chapman

Bob Chapman

1) Fenton asks: Where do you get your door hardware from?

The latch came as part of the DA door kit. I think DA also offered the latches separately.

2) A general comment -- in my case, upgrading these vintage kits from C&BT, IMWX, and Front Range has been a surprisingly fun offset to "Sunshine withdrawal" (not to leave out the kits from the newer cast resin suppliers that have also filled some of the breach).

The process for these older kits is a bit different. You need to do the research to see which roads fielded the kit's carbody type, and what type of hardware (doors, roof, runningboard, handbrake, trucks, etc.) were chosen. Then there's the search for photos, and the shopping to track down the needed parts and decals. Finally at that point, the modeling becomes somewhat similar to putting together a cast resin kit. If you have some of these older kits lying around, don't let them go to waste; it's been a fun trip here.

Regards,
Bob Chapman