Topics

WP 1201-1250 Tank Cars

Tom Lawler

Hello All,

Do any of the tank car fanatics on this list have a photo they can share of these cars circa ‘30’s or ‘40’s? I am looking for the “as built” lettering. In particular I want to know if the right hand data was placed right or left of the tank bands. It was unusual for thIs lettering to be to the left of the bands and most of the later photos you see of these cars had it placed left of the bands but was it that way originally?

Thank you,

Tom

Norm Buckhart

On Aug 28, 2020, at 7:38 AM, Tom Lawler <tjlawler@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Do any of the tank car fanatics on this list have a photo they can share of these cars circa ‘30’s or ‘40’s? I am looking for the “as built” lettering. In particular I want to know if the right hand data was placed right or left of the tank bands. It was unusual for thIs lettering to be to the left of the bands and most of the later photos you see of these cars had it placed left of the bands but was it that way originally?

Thank you,

Tom

Tom - this is from the 1920-50’s and may help.  Norm Buckhart

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tom,

This is a poor copy, from a photocopy of WPHS's HEADLIGHT, spring 1990. And yes, they had a dome platform and ladder on only one side.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:39 AM Tom Lawler <tjlawler@...> wrote:
Hello All,

Do any of the tank car fanatics on this list have a photo they can share of these cars circa ‘30’s or ‘40’s? I am looking for the “as built” lettering. In particular I want to know if the right hand data was placed right or left of the tank bands. It was unusual for thIs lettering to be to the left of the bands and most of the later photos you see of these cars had it placed left of the bands but was it that way originally?

Thank you,

Tom

Fred Jansz

Great info, thank you Garth!
Just what we (me too) needed Tom & Bill.
If only we could read the dim data.
Indeed no lines above and below WP & rd#.
These were added when the silver repaint started 1950-51.
Pecos River made these cars in HO brass (some factory painted) w. either K- or AB brakes.
Indeed one platform and ladder.
Nice models!

regards,
Fred Jansz