Topics

WP 29' Coil Gondolas

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

A couple of weeks back we were discussing WP'S 29' coil gondolas here, and off-group as well. This month I am scanning up miscellaneous bits and pieces of paper, and ran across the attached advertisement from a 1953 issue of TRAINS which shows these cars in an amusing, but informative way.

Please take note of the Timkin "Roller Bearing" herald. The one surviving car, WP 6424, is at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, California, and was restored to this original scheme: https://www.wplives.org/collectionpageimages/freightcarimages/gondolas/wp6424.jpg .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Jim Hayes

Might make an interesting project for a mini-kit project for an RPM meet.

Jim

dave w

Garth
That is a fabulous piece of railroad history, as both a media, art and social commentary.
I can see Ren & Stimpy in those guys, and as Jim says, a nice project to model (even though I'll never have 29' in N scale I like to loading pattern),
cheers davew
≠≠≠

spsalso

These cars were WP 6401-6500, built by Greenville in September of 1953.  With drop ends.  25 were renumbered to WP4401-4425 in 1978.  17 were in the October 1990 ORER.

I believe building a model of these cars is so simple that I didn't bother to save how it was done:  cut out enough in the middle to get the right length, and remove the fishbelly.  Or the other way around.  And install roller bearing trucks.  The most difficult part is that there are no decals.  My plan has been to model them in their later years, using this and that for decals.  Also, my geographical area of interest is a but north of the WP; and I think one or two of these cars having business there would be more likely in later years.

A person appearing to be named Garth Groff wrote an excellent article on these cars:

https://www.wplives.org/sn/gon.html

Ed

Edward Sutorik.

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ed,

It was more than just an appearance. I did indeed write the article, as well as the related one on the same site about USS Geneva and the D&RGW/WP/SN steel trains. In fact, the whole SN On-line site was mine, donated to the WPHS when I no longer have it hosted on the UVA server when I retired from there.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 4:45 PM spsalso via groups.io <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bob Chaparro

At the 2016 PCR/NMRA Convention in Modesto, CA, Bill Gilbert gave a very good presentation on WP steel coil gondolas.

His clinic covered the prototype history and modeling (HO scale) these Western Pacific 29-foot steel coil gondolas.

The PCR puts many of its clinics on line (http://pcrnmra.org/pcr/clinics/clinics.shtml) so I'm hoping Bill's clinic will be added to the list of offerings some day.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Photo: WP Shorty Gondola 6497

For those of you who have an account with RailCar Photos, here is a photo taken by Ron Hawkins in 1973:

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=50888

I appreciate the photo date is well past the cut-off for this group but I thought some of you would still want to see this car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA