Topics

WP R-30-13-9

radiodial868

Finished up 2, one the recent RCW kit and the other a Red Caboose RC-4231 kit with a Tichy dual center sill riveted built-up underframe.  Pretty similar, each having pros and cons. I like the lower sill rivet detail on the RCW. The RC medallion is slightly oversized (probably the original 1923/1924 size).
I made a rookie mistake on the RC kit as I didn't install interior bulkheads in the ice hatches (light shines through) and installed them too far open for ventilator service. They would rarely be in the position I modeled. Should be either full laid back open for servicing, full closed for ice service and about halfway open for ventilator service. Picked up on that after the 3rd read through the PFE book.
Speaking of which, the main reason for the post. Tony and all PFE researchers, in 2021 is it still felt that there were some WP reefers made as R-30-12 with Bettendorf UF's? Has any photo's surfaced of any of the 2275 cars with a Bettendorf UF since the PFE bible was authored? Have any car #s on the PFE build sheets noted with R-30-12 show up in photos in the 30 years since?

Thanks,
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

O Fenton Wells

Very nicely done RJ, I have a few of those to build as well.
fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Paul Doggett

They are looking good RJ.
Paul Doggett    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 24 Jan 2021, at 17:58, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

[...]
<F8CC8CDB-552A-4611-BEFB-E93D31A3343C_1_201_a.jpeg>

Thanks,
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

radiodial868

Thanks guys!
Note to self, when attaching photos in .io groups, use attachment instead inserting as a picture as that makes a tiny pixilated photo. Trying again here.
Fenton, assuming it is the RCW kits you need to build, I'm dropping into the Facebook Resin Builders site a bunch of build pics for it along with some gotcha's to look out for. If the Red Caboose w/ Tichy underframe, send me a note.
RJ

Very nicely done RJ, I have a few of those to build as well.
fenton

They are looking good RJ.
Paul Doggett    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

O Fenton Wells

Actually I have some IM 1927 FGEX cars to disassemble then re build on the PRR R7 frame and one on the Tichy frame as FGEX rebuilt many of their cars.
I can no longer find the IM FGEX kits so I bought the RTR and I have to figure how to strip the paint and take them apart.  I will call IM to see if they have kit instructions.  FGEX also had the PFE R 40-23's so I found two of those Undec kits in inventory.  so many cars so little time
Fenton

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:
Thanks guys!
Note to self, when attaching photos in .io groups, use attachment instead inserting as a picture as that makes a tiny pixilated photo. Trying again here.
Fenton, assuming it is the RCW kits you need to build, I'm dropping into the Facebook Resin Builders site a bunch of build pics for it along with some gotcha's to look out for. If the Red Caboose w/ Tichy underframe, send me a note.
RJ
Very nicely done RJ, I have a few of those to build as well.
fenton

They are looking good RJ.
Paul Doggett    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Andy Cich

I will call IM to see if they have kit instructions

Kenneth Montero

Fenton,

I will scan a set of the instructions from IM kit 42700 FGE Wood Refrigerator undecorated for you this afternoon.

Ken Montero

On 01/24/2021 2:15 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

Second transmission.

Ken Montero

On 01/24/2021 2:47 PM Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Andy Appreciate that

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 2:41 PM Andy Cich <ajc5150@...> wrote:

FGEX kit instructions here:

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/customerservice/instructions/HO%20FGE%20WOOD%20REFRIGERATOR%20-%20Kit.pdf

All Intermountain kit instructions here:

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/customerservice/cshoinstructions.html

Andy Cich