Topics

Wrecked car with interior details from 1948

Brian Rochon

From the Steamtown- Erie-Lackawanna site today.  Car is described as a tank car, but exterior looks like a reefer.  A milk reefer perhaps?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-01-24-20/16619.jpg

Brian Rochon

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:37 AM, Brian Rochon wrote:

Car is described as a tank car, but exterior looks like a reefer.  A milk reefer perhaps?

A milk tank car. Note the passenger type trucks and three torched off rectangles on the near end; these are the guides for the buffer springs, the buffer has been removed. These cars typically had two tanks with a small room between them to keep the loading connections clean; the room is accessed via the reefer style doors, and we are looking at the fack side of the wall where the exterior of the car has been ripped away.

Dennis Storzek

Bud Rindfleisch

The placard to the left of the door looks like Dairymen's League.
    Bud Rindfleisch

Donald B. Valentine

  Definitely a milk tank car of the BMT classification and most likely of 6,000 gal. capacity by that year
with two 3,000 gal. tanks as Dennis describes. If yhou look above the reefer doors you can see the vent
door with its sliding cover that allowed it to be openedso the filler piping could enter the car through it.
Almost looks like and Sealtest car but I need to check my material to be sure.

Cordially, Don Valentine