Topics

XM-1 braking rigging question

Clark Propst

Bill just finished a M&StL XM-1 box car with a third brake lever. I'm building a Sunshine RI XM-1 now. Looking at the photo provided there appeared to be extra stuff under the car. So I added the extra lever following Bill's model photo. Then it dawned on me the proto photo had the K brake setup. I got out RP Cyc 18, it has builders photos of two cars, one is the same as in the instructions. The other in of a car from the last 200 built in the order. It appears to have 'normal' rigging.

Can someone help with my dilemma Please?
CW Propst
PS. Doesn't matter if I screwed up, I have the M&StL versions to build I can just swap underframes

Eric Hansmann

Clark,

I sent this to the ResinFreightCarBuilders group and thought I should reply here for the curious.

You have the correct RPCyc, but look at an earlier page. Check out the diagram on page 10 for the XM-1 KC brake hardware arrangement. The rods and piping probably remained the same for the AB brake upgrades.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN